10

"Put this on, I won't look." A voice I've become familiar with appeared out of the blue. I blinked a few times, and saw blondie's body on the ground, lips busted open with fresh blood and unconscious.

"Astel?" I croaked.

"Hurry so we can go home, sweetheart."

I looked down at what I was clutching, and I looked back up at Astel. It was his blazer, smelled like his cologne, giving me comfort. Slipping my arms through each sleeve, it was big on me. But I liked it.

"I'm done," I whispered. Astel helped me on my feet, and I held on to him for dear life. Sobbing into his chest feeling the dampness I created on the fabric of his shirt. After being sexually assaulted, I didn't want to be alone anymore. I felt secure with Astel.

Astel began to drive us home, turning the heat on and played soft music in the background. My tears had dried up, but my heart still felt like someone was twisting it. I felt Astel glance at me every few seconds until I caught him.

"That prick is going to fucking pay," he growled, knuckles turning white from gripping the steering wheel.

I didn't answer.

"How dare he take advantage of you when you're drunk? A fucking lowlife scum."

Memories began flooding in and I wanted to sob again. My breath ragged, gasping desperately for air.

"I shouldn't remind you. I'm sorry sweetheart." His voice softened. "We're almost home."

I felt so weak. So vulnerable, hating every second of it. The rest of the ride was blurred with radio music and the sound of other cars honking through the city.

-

"I'm going to take a shower," I said, "will you... wait for me in my bedroom?"

"I will, don't worry."

When I came out, Astel was dozing off on my bed, but immediately sat upright when noticing my presence. I chuckled, before frowning again, remembering. That second of laughter was replaced by earlier trauma, an event engraved in my mind.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" He scooted over, patting the spot next to him.

"Awful. I just-," my breath hitched, "I can't even think about it." I pulled the blankets over me, then pulling my knees up, resting my chin on them.

Astel rubbed my back. "You don't have to talk about it. Just forget it all, at least for a moment." I'm trying. I laid down, stopping momentarily his back rubbing. It transitioned to him playing with my hair, my eyes closing. I focused on his touch. His scent. Him who saved me.

Earlier, I was praying to God to save me. Ironically, the devil did. The devil that I wouldn't have met had I not gone gummy hunting with Liv. Had I ignored those stains. I was thankful for Astel. A blessing in disguise.

My heartbeat calmed down. I heard Astel hovering over me to reach the night light, turning it off. I caught a whiff of his scent. I smiled in the darkness.

I was happy he didn't go away.

-

Droplets of rain hit against my window. It was eleven in the morning. My legs tangled with the body next to mine, his arms engulfing me. My head against his chest, hearing his heartbeat.

I sighed, taking in this moment. Didn't want to question it, just savouring it. Today was a cloudy, gray kind of day. My headache was there, pounding away as a distraction.

"Morning sweetheart." Astel's arm tightened around my waist, pulling me in closer.

"Morning Astel." I closed my eyes in silence. We stayed like that, appreciating each other's presence. We didn't need to engage in a conversation. Knowing the other was there was enough. More than enough.