12

With my right hand, I tug at my heel, struggling to slip on my shoe. Swinging my purse around my shoulder, I yelled "I'm leaving to work, Astel!". As soon as those words left my mouth, a sound I've become accustomed to was heard. It was the sound of a ceramic bowl hitting a surface accompanied by footsteps.

"Leaving?"

I checked the time on my cheap watch, an item I bought myself as soon as I landed this job. "I've stalled enough already." I opened the front door and walked through it.

Astel stood in the entryway, leaned against the door frame. The silky pajamas he wore hanged loosely on him, a few buttons undone to give access to his bare chest. His hair was combed down, different from usual. "Good luck," he said.

An uncomfortable feeling settled within me. I wasn't sure why. Astel wasn't one to wish luck, not when it came to work. He would always warn me to be careful, proceed with caution and to stay away from a certain blondie. But he didn't wish luck. "Thanks," I replied.

-

I sat in front of my computer, swinging from side to side on my office chair. Twirling a pen around my fingers, closed eyes and humming some tune I heard over the radio. A hand slammed itself down on my left shoulder shocking me into reality.

"Rosie, have you seen our manager?" asked my coworker Elise.

I nibbled on my bottom lip, physically feeling the color draining out my face. The redhead waited patiently for my response. I broke into a fake smile, heart beating in anger at Saturday's unfortunate event. "I don't think I have."

She grumbled, hands on her hips and putting her weight in one leg. "Where in the world is he?"

"He's not here?" That would explain why I haven't encountered him since I arrived. Although, I thought it was because he might have some sort of decency in him to not talk to me.

"I even asked the guards downstairs and they said he hasn't come in yet," she said. "Sick day, maybe?" Elise walked away leaving me relieved that I wouldn't see his face today. I've been distracted all morning. I could muster up all the courage, all the hate and disgust towards blondie yet I knew I was scared. Scared that he would do the same thing again. Scared that he would pretend like everything was normal and flash me a smile that would stun me speechless.

-

"And that's what happened." I wiped away a tear dangerously close to spilling down my cheek. Looking at the ceiling and blinking away while Liv sat in front of me, listening to me in silence. That silence spoke a lot. I could tell she wanted to scream, to yell, to curse.

She waited five seconds before I nodded. And then she burst. "Ethan is scum," she growled. "I don't even want to waste my breath about him. Let's not." Liv embraced me into her arms as I let the warmth of her body soothe me. She let go and I replaced that warmth with her blanket, hogging it around me while we both sat on her bed.

"I'm just so thankful to Astel," she croaked. "I don't even want to imagine what would've happen if he wasn't there."

"I've been thinking that too," I confessed. I could have been a goner.

"Shouldn't you call the authority?"

I pulled the blankets closer. "I don't want it to become a big thing," I sighed. It was hard enough for me, I didn't want to put the stress under my parents and sister.

She looked at me disapprovingly, I couldn't blame her. If I were her, I would've wanted her to press charges too. But it was me, and I didn't want it. Maybe I just wasn't ready to admit I was assaulted. If I didn't admit, it was easier for me to forget and move on.