16

Tired of wallowing in self-pity, I clacked my heels as confidently as I could towards the self-serve table. Not only did they serve you a three-course dinner, but they had also prepared a self-serve buffet for the people like me who were still hungry. I was thoroughly impressed with the preparations and all the effort they put in.

"That's a lot of food," a voice said out of the blue. There was a guy in an all-black outfit eyeing my plate.

I continue to pile on a mountain of mouth-watering food. "I'm hungry," I simply stated. There was a part of me that was hungry, sure, but I didn't want to admit I was here mostly because I didn't want to stay at the table like a lone wolf.

"You sure you aren't just trying to distract yourself from the fact your boyfriend is entertaining another woman?" Oh, so he noticed. Great. He took a step forward.

I pursed my lips. "He's just being polite to the daughter and sole heir of Kennedy Corps." I internally wince at how that didn't sound convincing at all to my own ears. "Plus, he isn't my boyfriend."

He watched me amusedly. "But you wish he were, don't you?"

I stiffened at the question. He was being awfully nosy for someone I had just met. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"Just a bodyguard with too much time on his hand," he replied casually. "You didn't answer my question though."

I narrowed my eyes, uncertain of where this was coming from. "So what if I do, mister bodyguard?"

"Then what are you waiting for?" he exclaimed. "A woman can do the first move too. Look at this!" He gestured around us dramatically. "We are in the 21rst century."

I finally let out a laugh, feeling the vibrations course through my body. "Don't go all feminist on me now. I know very well a woman can make the first move."

"Then go and make him yours, honey!" He tried shooing me into Astel's direction.

I spun on my heel at the nickname he called me. "Honey?" I frowned.

"Oh don't worry." He waved his hand in denial. "I'm gay."

I shoved my platter of food in his hold before rearranging my outfit and hair. "I'm going in," I said as I marched with determination towards Astel and Cecilia. I coughed for their attention. "I'm sorry for interrupting. Can I talk to you in private?" I asked Astel, my newly found confidence vanishing by the second.

"Just like you said," spoke Cecilia. "You're interrupting my proposal."

Couldn't she just go away? Her presence was like that of an annoying fly that just wouldn't disappear no matter what. "What proposal?"

"A marriage proposal," she smirked mockingly.

I gazed at Astel, waiting for him to say something. He did not.

"Will you marry me, Astel?" Don't say his name!

I didn't waste a second before lashing out at her in disbelief. "You just met him! You don't even know what he does for a living, or where he lives, or him in general!" I was absolutely furious at this girl. Who does she think she is? Just because she was the heir of a successful company does not give her the right to shamelessly flirt with a man that I was obviously interested in.

Take a hint!

She narrowed her eyes at me. "That's exactly what honeymoons are for. You get all the time in the world to get to know each other better," she said. "Astel told me he was some kind of daredevil; I'm taking that was a sign of flirtation."

"That doesn't even make sense," I fumed.

Ignoring my comment, Cecilia continued her unbelievable attempt at marriage. "What do you say?" She flashed him a triumphant smile.