02 | coffee and phone calls

" i guess this is our always. "

↜ ↝

"You didn't tell me you signed up for the band club."

Sunwoo nudges at Sihyun's sides, probing. The lass barely glances at him, humming with a melodic voice, "I just signed up yesterday, didn't know if I'd get in so didn't find the need to tell you." She simply responds before continuing, "How'd you know I signed up though?" One thing she's sure of is that Sunwoo never goes to a school club just to find out the information.

He shrugs, walking slowly down the street. "I walked past the notice board and saw your name under some list." Sunwoo's sharp eyesight never fails to surprise her. With just a mere glance, he can easily spot one's name—or maybe just hers but she doesn't think so.

Nodding, Sihyun lengthens the conversation, "I don't think I'll make it though. I've never really–well," She pauses hesitantly causing the boy beside her to turn his head to face her, "Shown my voice to anyone y'know? So they probably won't think I have talent. And there's no audition either so." Her lack of confidence makes him frown.

"But they don't ever have auditions. They know that anyone who signs up for their club has talent. Why would someone untalented sign up? Unless they have a high ego or something but y'know what I mean?"

No, she doesn't. Sihyun really doesn't but she just bops her head in agreement albeit letting the negativity spread in her blood.

Knowing she isn't completely convinced, Sunwoo breathes out heavily before slinging an arm around her shoulder, squeezing at the bone gently, "Don't be a grumpy grandpa Hyun. You'll be fine." The comforting words and the little squeeze ease her a little, just a little.

She grins thankfully, turning to him before beaming, "Coffee at Light Up Coffee?"

He scoffs, flicking her forehead with the other hand, "It's 2 in the afternoon dumbass, you won't be able to sleep tonight." He knows how she is when she has coffee late but she doesn't care really, she just needs something at the moment to lighten her day up so she shrugs.

"If you're not going then I'll go alone." She quickens her pace, teasing him with a disappointed tone.

Rolling his eyes, Sunwoo rushes his footsteps to catch up with her as he gave in, "Fine, Light Up Coffee it is."

———

At 11 pm where the sky's dark and stars glitter the sky with no moon to be seen, Sunwoo sits on his bed, eyes droopy. But he refuses to sleep as he waits for his phone to ring.

3...

He stares at the dark screen which reflected his face.

2...

The screen lights up.

1....

And then Sihyun's name appears with the red and green buttons at the bottom of the screen.

He laughs to himself, answering it quickly before putting it on the speaker before finally lying on the bed. He knows he would have fallen asleep right away had he lied on the bed earlier and he didn't want that, knowing that his best friend would call so he had to pick up.

"What'd I say about you not being able to sleep?" He grins to no one in particular but Sihyun can practically hear his proudness through the screen.

She snickers, "Yeah yeah, you're forever right aren't you, smart one?" The sarcasm drips heavily from her tone, making him chuckle, "Of course." He says, a cocky grin plastered on his full, round lips though no one could see it.

There is a silent pause on the call that connects both of them until the girl speaks once again.

"I guess this is our always eh?" She says softly, tone gentle and girl-like. When Sunwoo doesn't say anything, she continues, "I want coffee, you'll say no but we still get them anyway. Then you'll wait for me to call you 'cause you know I can't sleep and when I do, you answer so quick."

"Then we talk for hours until I fall asleep and the next day at school you'll bring a portable charger for me to charge my phone cause you know I wouldn't have any battery left in my phone." A long sigh leaves Sihyun's lips, "You're a real friend y'know Kim?" But there is no reply.

"Sunwoo?" She calls again, but again it's silent on the other end until she hears light snores coming from her best friend and she can't help giggling.

"I guess you're the first to fall asleep this time."

school's starting so my chapters probably won't be proof-read and edited bssidjis sorry:/