Chapter 2: Chants, Whispers, Prayers, Awakening

● 6th day of the Sixth Month, year 666 -Realm of Light.

It was a windy summer day in the Cleve Forest, also known as the Restricted Area that Jaden was punished for going into, but today it was allowed. At least for the hunters who were signed up to finally explore these massive ruins.
Hunters who operated in the same area knew each other well. This was due to the collective gathering of all Hunters in the area whenever a dungeon is opened up. And today, the hunters who have gathered shared a cup of coffee while greeting each other.

"Oy, Mr. Erik, over here!" said a thick belly man.
"Ooh, Mr. Bram, what are you doing here? I thought you were done with the Hunter business." answered another thin wrinkled man.
"Ah that... The wife just got pregnant with number two." replied Bram.
"Hahaha, is that so? Well, nothing better than a Raid to oil the pockets of a Hunter!"
Both Mr. Erik and Mr. Bram laughed.
"You know, it seems like the Association's been calling us less and less lately. Wonder if the rate of dungeon raids decreased?"
"Eh, nonsense. It's because the Infernos have been working harder than the Association lately. Whenever large sums of money's involved, you just know the Church pounce on 'em with that ire look in their eyes."
"Well then, I guess this Raid being supervised by the Association means it'll be pretty safe, right?"
With a slight concern, Mr. Bram took a look around the area. A Gate ignored by the Infernos meant low pay, and a low paying Gate meant low difficulty. Of course, there was nothing in life that was 100% certain. Similar to Mr. Bram, other hunters in the area shifted their eyes with nervousness.
"Perhaps..."

As he finished the coffee, Mr. Erik suddenly waved to someone he saw approaching in the distance.
"Oh, wait, look who it is!" he muttered.
Other Hunters also looked at the newcomer with familiarity and contempt.
"It's the Inferno kid.." few hunters whispered.
It was Jaden Inferno, finally arriving at the dungeon site, which was crowded with hunters and merchants of different ranks.
"So Jaden came. Then this place should be safe."
With his eyes widened, Mr. Bram asked Mr. Erik, "What? Is he that strong?"
"Ah, Mr. Bram, you wouldn't know. He started the job a little after you left. There's no hunter here who doesn't know Jaden Inferno."
"That strong? Why is he working under the Association, then? Why not freelance or join his peers in the Grand Church?"
Chuckling, Mr. Erik's eyes narrowed.
"You know what that man's nickname is?"
"How would I know? Come on, spit it out." asked Bram giddily.

"Humanity's Weakest Hunter." Erik uttered.
" . . . Weakest? Not Strongest?"
"Listen to yourself, that kind of title belongs only to the S-rank Hunters. That man over there is the Weakest Hunter. Probably the weakest Hunter ever."
"Eh?" Mr. Bram furrowed his brows. If he was that weak, why would the Hunters look so relieved at his appearance? A fellow Hunter was someone who had to be relied upon in a Raid. He could not understand the other Hunters' reactions.
Seeing Mr. Bram's tilted head in contemplation, Mr. Bram ribbed him with his elbows while laughing.
"Don't you get it? If that kid appeared in today's Raid, it means it's gotta be an easy one. The Association wouldn't risk putting him on anything hard. Nobody wants to see someone die pointlessly."
And now, Mr. Bram's face brightened, "Is, is that so?"
Coming back to the Raiding scene after a long break, both he and his wife were ladened with uneasiness and concern. But listening to Mr. Erik's words, his mood lightened up.
Mr. Bram shifted his eyes towards Jaden and quieted his laughter. Fortunately, Jaden appeared some distance away and probably couldn't hear their conversation.

But he did.

I heard everything, you geezers, he told himself.
Doing his best to ignore their laughter, he met their gaze and put on an ignorant smile. At times like this, he cursed his rather keen hearing.
... Did I come too soon?, he thought.
It was some time before the Raid would begin. While waiting, Jaden approached an Association Employee for some coffee.
"Could I get a cup as well?" he asked.
"Ah . . . I'm so sorry, we just ran out..."