Chapter 2

It's open house. I'm making sure I have everything ready to welcome my new kindergarten friends this school year.

I love my job. And I'm great at it. In fact, I am one of the best sought after kindergarten teachers out of the four in our school.

Parents don't usually get to choose who their child's teacher is, but they get to share their preference.

It's 6:00. The open house is starting. The principal has all the parents check in and meet in the gym for a little welcome talk before they come and check out the room and meet the teacher.

I'm patiently waiting in my classroom.

"I'm sorry." I low voice says. I know that voice.

I look up in disbelief.

"What are you doing here?" I ask wide eyed.

Alex has a deer in headlights kind of look. Clearly he wasn't expecting to see me.

"Ummm what are you doing here?" He finally asks.

"This is my classroom." I say pointing to my name on the door. "Everyone calls me Lynn now."

He clears his throat. "Well, I'm kind of lost. I am looking for the gym." He says not making eye contact with me.

"Why?" I interrogated him.

"It's complicated." He responds apologetically.

"I'm sorry?" I ask perplexed.

"Daddy!" I little girl runs up to him and hugs his leg.

She had his hazel eyes and his dark black hair. She was a beautiful little girl. No doubt in my mind that she was his.

"Jackie." He says looking at me. "This is my daughter, Isabelle."

I am fighting back a gasp. I don't believe it.

He didn't want kids. He told me that. He didn't want kids ever. And here is his beautiful daughter.

Which means she has a mother... a mother he has sex with.

And we hooked up, like two days ago...

That dirty bastard.I stand there in shock. I can't peel my eyes away from my ex boyfriend and his beautiful daughter.

"Jackie?" He asks bringing me out of my panic. Being called Jackie is now so foreign to me, that I am surprised I still answered to it.

I clear my throat. "Yes," I offer a fake smile. "The gym is down the hall to the left." I answer remembering his question.

I walk away and pretend like I am doing something, until I hear him leave.

I double check my roster to make sure that Isabelle isn't in my class. I mean how awkward would that be?

I feel relieved when I don't see her name.

Finally, parents and children start filtering in and I am able to distract myself from seeing Alex.

I'm in the zone. Talking to parents, meeting kids, and showing off my classroom.

I don't have a care in the world when I am at work. My personal life tends to fade away and I am focused on not only being professional, by putting my needs aside for my students.

As I continue to mingle with parents, I feel a presence near my door staring at me.

I don't need to look to know it's Alex. But of course, I can't help but look.

His blue green eyes are taking me in. I can't look away.

Suddenly, it's very hot in here. The thin strap, yet sensible summer dress I'm wearing isn't doing anything to keep me cool. Even though that's what they're fucking for.