Chapter 2: Old Friends And New Friends

I've managed to get through the morning rather well. I had informed Milly over the phone that I was in a small accident the other day but when she probed for further details I first asked her not to tell the others. Saving a few of the details involving who I was with, I told her I went to the ghettos and got hurt when I had accidentally got in the way of a military exercise, injuring my back in the process. The vagueness of it gave away that it was a half-truth and half-lie. Milly didn't push the issue, instead, she hung up after saying two things. One, that she expects I'll be more careful in the future. Two, that I come and tell her if something is wrong.

The real treat of the day, however, wasn't getting out of physical activities, but it was who I'd be seeing in my first class of the day. None other than Suzaku. It was to the surprise of everyone, he is the first full-blooded Japanese student in the school after all. Also, the whole 'was a suspect in the death of Prince Clovis thing' definitely had an impact. Milly and the rest of the Student Council might not discriminate, excluding Nina, but the same cannot be said about the rest of the academy. From the moment he set foot in the classroom the air filled with whispers and gossip. It wasn't a welcoming and happy atmosphere in any way. When class was finally over, while the rest of the class was talking to themselves about him, I hopped myself over next to Suzaku.

(F/N): "Sup."

Suzaku: "Uh, hey, it's a pleasure to meet you." Odd, since we already met, or maybe he doesn't want people to know that. Lelouch leaving seemed to catch his attention. "Sorry, but I have to go."

(F/N): "No problem, we can chat some other time." As soon as he left, Shirley came over and I got up. "I need to grab a drink, mind watching my bag for me?" Without waiting for her to respond, I followed Suzaku out of the classroom, making my way to the rooftop where he and Lelouch appeared to be talking, both with smiles. "So you two know each other?"

Lelouch: "(F/N)." He said with a surprised voice. "What are you doing up here?"

(F/N): "I could ask you both the same thing. I'm kind of hurt, really. Sneaking off to talk together and not inviting me." I went over to Suzaku and patted him on the shoulder. "I wanted to thank you for the other day." Suzaku smiled.

Suzaku: "It was only natural to help someone in need."

(F/N): "Now how about telling me how you two know each other? I promise not to tell anyone." The two looked at each other, Suzaku seemed to be waiting for Lelouch's approval.

Lelouch: "We're... childhood friends."

The way he worded it made it come off as the basic form of the truth, making it clear it was a sensitive subject. Clearly, since it should be impossible for a Britannian and a Japanese to be childhood friends. At their current age, they would have been kids during the Second Pacific War, when Japan was conquered. For them to be friends would mean there's a special circumstance between them. Especially since Suzaku's father was the Prime Minister, which brings Lelouch into question. But I won't pry, I'd rather things be kept pleasant between us.

(F/N): "Right." I nod once. "I take it there's something we both can't say so let's leave it there then." Lelouch approved and turned to Suzaku.

Lelouch: "About what we were talking about. You were going to tell me what happened at your court-martial and how you enrolled."

Suzaku: "Right, I didn't expect we'd all be in the same school. Truth is, someone arranged for a proper investigation into what happened, and that person said a seventeen-year-old should be in school."

That person had to be Euphy since I could think of no one else that would do such a thing for an Eleven. After we were done talking, I made sure that Suzaku knew that if he was having trouble with his studies or needed help that he could turn to me. He was resistant at first, but I managed to strong-arm him into agreeing when I told him I'd annoy him about it every lunch break until he gave in. For the rest of the day, we acted like acquaintances, sort of strangers, for the most part. We didn't talk beyond the simple hellos, goodbyes, and how are yous. Lelouch though, they didn't even talk at all. Which made me think more about how they knew each other.