Chapter 16: Break Through!

Thanks to the time off I requested from Euphy, the three of us were able to go with the Black Knights to the Narita Mountains. Personally, I would have preferred using Lelouch's Geass to deal with the two JLF guards at the outpost. But shooting them in the middle of their game of Go through the windows worked. We didn't have to worry about the next report since we timed it to where we had two hours until the next one was expected. I signaled the Black Knights in the distance to continue their move up the mountain range.

We're going to use this opportunity to also dispel any doubt Euphy might still have in me. As C.C. and D.D. continued the game the soldiers were playing, I prepared for the speech with Cornelia. Putting down the duffle bag we brought, I checked the camera and laptop to make sure they were working properly. I then handed C.C. a prerecorded message and my phone before picking up the bag. I was going to head outside when C.C. brought up a question.

C.C.: "Do you really think this will work?"

Zero: "It has to, even without my Geass I know that Euphy will attempt to call me when Zero broadcasts his message to the command center."

C.C.: "And thanks to your Geass you know exactly what she'll say, yes. But I'm referring to the battle, you said it yourself that the Lancelot would be there."

Zero: "You make it sound like the Lancelot is a threat."

C.C.: "Isn't it? Even with your skills, it has the advantage of speed and weaponry." I nod.

Zero: "True, but I trust that you'll be there for me when I need you the most. Just make sure you play the recording I made for Euphy." It was around the time to begin the broadcast, outside, I set up the laptop and camera then waited for an answer. "Cornelia, it has been a while."

Cornelia: "Zero, you've decided to show your face here. What is it this time? Are you going to tell me that the JLF is full of innocent people?"

Zero: "No, I do not care about them. I'm here to see if I can convince you to hear me out. After all, despite what you believe, we do not have to fight."

Cornelia: "I make it no secret that I owe you for saving Euphy, however, you are still a criminal. Perhaps if you were to turn yourself in I'd hear you out before your execution, but not here."

Zero: "That is a shame." I noticed Euphy taking out her phone. "Do you remember Code R? One of the research labs is actually near here. I propose two choices. The first is for you to send a unit to inspect every vehicle during the evacuation. The second is to force me to get through to you, both literally and figuratively."

Cornelia: "Break off a unit for a wild goose chase? Don't be ridiculous, I'm not going to make an opening for you or the JLF. As for the second option, I would like to see you try." She stated as if she was above me.

Zero: "Then you force my hand, I'll have to do the only thing that can get through to a soldier like you. I will fight you and show you that I am your equal in terms of strength, perhaps then you'll listen." Euphy finished her quiet conversation over the phone.

Cornelia: "My equal? Don't make me laugh. Should you show your face on the battlefield I will show you how wrong you are." I cut the transmission and walked inside.

Zero: "How did it go?"

D.D.: "The recording worked, she bought it."

Zero: "Good, now to regroup with the Black Knights."

The three of us left to check on how the drilling was going at the summit. D.D. brought out a small notebook that had many different layouts for the drills and the statistics from each resulting landslide. The one layout we chose would, in theory, have the best outcome out of all of them. As for Shirley's dad, D.D. stabbed him the day prior to this operation while pretending to be a mugger, so he was safely in a hospital recovering. As I approached Ohgi he asked me if I was really going through with this.