Chapter 6: Death At Narita

Since she found me on the rooftop with Refrain, D.D. has taken it upon herself to be around me more often, not at school where Milly and the others were around, but when out with the Black Knights she is almost always by my side. Zero vouched for her, however, do to the way she dresses most have taken to calling her Princess. I tried to convince her into wearing the uniform, but she was against it saying that if C.C. didn't have to wear it, neither would she. From that, I figured they had entered into the adversarial phase of their relationship. This usually leads to them getting tired of fighting and then compromising with the existence of each other when together.

At the moment, the two of us were at a warehouse with the Black Knights checking out the supplies sent from Kyoto. There has been an increase in members, making these supplies an excellent gift, with the main awe coming from the number of Burai they provided. Then there was the red Knightmare that we were standing in front of, the Guren Mk-II. I was so lost in thought while looking at it that I hadn't noticed Zero approach me until he spoke up. It was only the three of us, the others were dealing with the rookies.

Zero: "The Guren, you know who will pilot it."

(F/N): "Kallen, but you do not need to know the future to predict that. Out of all the original members and current members, she has the most experience piloting a Knightmare."

Zero: "Are you included in that evaluation?"

(F/N): "No."

Ohgi: "Zero, you got a second?" He asked, walking over with a binder. "We got some weird intel here from a Britannian who wants to join up with the Black Knights." He handed over the binder to Zero, who started looking over it. "This may be a trap to draw us out."

(F/N): "It's not." I interjected. "The Britannian is Diethard and the intel is about Narita, correct?"

Ohgi: "So you knew about this too, do you know him from the military?"

(F/N): "Oh I know him well, not from the military. Out of everyone I've ever met he's on the list of people I don't like." I scratched my head and looked at Zero. "But that's all, just because I don't like him doesn't mean we shouldn't use him and his connections."

Zero: "Agreed." He closed the binder dramatically and looked to Ohgi. "This weekend we're going hiking to the Narita mountains."

Ohgi: "Very well then, I'll go tell the others." After he left Zero made a troublesome statement that got me thinking.

Zero: "The oracle spoke and fate fulfilled his words, but you never said what the end result was at Narita." D.D. stepped between me and Zero while I thought about it. There was no way I could tell him about Shirley's father, and I don't want to risk killing him myself if I stage an accident.

D.D.: "You can't know anymore about that."

Zero: "Oh, and why is that?"

D.D.: "What if he told you your original plan word for word and the results? Naturally, you'd change it, making the future uncertain. Even knowing that will make you second guess yourself while planning." I gently took D.D. by one of her shoulders to turn her around.

(F/N): "Zero, the future is a lot like a lake, and doing certain things is the equivalent of throwing a stone into the lake. I've already told you enough to make a ripple or two."

Zero: "Very well, you could at least tell me what you're planning to do from your end so we don't cause problems for each other."

(F/N): "I don't know, I'm still deciding if I should throw a stone or not."

Zero left after settling for that. What I said was true, a big change would make things unpredictable. Saving Shirley's father can mean many things. Shirley never learning that Lelouch is Zero, potentially never meeting Mao, not losing her memories of Lelouch, not regaining them later on and dying to Rolo. All of that may sound good, but every action has a reaction, in this case, the death of her father creates a chain of reactions, all of which impact Lelouch, Kallen, others, and the future. From knowing that, a question arises that makes me get lost in thought, should some things not be changed?