Last Song

Shawn cried so hard that he fell asleep from exhaustion. The tour bus stopped for gas and April came onto the bus. "He's resting," Camila said. She wanted to say more but everything she wanted to say contained the word bitch.

"Hmm. Here's some food. I.. got you whatever he gets..." April said and then left.

The smell of food woke up him up and Camila laughed. It was two grilled chicken taco salads.

Shawn wiped his eyes and yawned. "Thank you" he mouthed. He had more to say but without his voice and being on vocal rest he decided that silence was his best option. He couldn't fathom cancelling another show.

"I'm sorry.. about your show... I know it means a lot to you," Camila finally said and he nodded.

"For what it's worth, if I hadn't signed an NDA, I'd go on twitter and tweet about how you care about your fans more than anything and if you're cancelling a show, it's only because you need to rest to play more shows."

"Thank you," he mouthed again. 

The day was spent driving and when they got to Nashville, Camila was moved to another bus and once again, put on a hat. The last thing they needed was seeing her get off the same bus Shawn was on.

Camila hadn't thought it through but she wondered if she'd get her own room. She didn't need to wonder though because she was led to a hotel room Shawn was already in.

He spoke quietly "I'm sorry... April is under the impression you're... keeping me company so she put us in the same room."

Camila knew what "company" meant and it didn't bother her.

"It's okay, I  don't mind... I've never been to Nashville.."

Shawn lit up. He wanted to show her everything, but he knew galavanting around Nashville was sure to get him in trouble. He didn't much care though.

He talked Andrew into "hanging out with him" and April was busy on the phone fixing "his mess" as she said.

He got Shawn a disguise, which was really just a hat and sunglasses. Camila also wore a hat and sunglasses and together they ventured out into Honky Tonk Central. No one noticed them until they went to a candy shop and Shawn noticed a little girl who looked to be about 10 and her eyes widened and she froze. Shawn smiled and put his lips up to his, in an effort to let her know not to say anything. She took out her phone and handed it to him. He smiled and crouched down to take a selfie and then fished a guitar pick out of his pockets and gave it to her. She smiled and skipped away. Camila smiled at his kind gesture. The sun went down and Honky Tonk Central came alive. They wandered into a bar and a girl was belting out  a Shania Twain classic. Shawn and Camila loved it and they swayed to the music. Shawn wasn't yet 21, but Camila snagged him a beer and they danced in the crowd. With his sunglasses now off though, he was recognized by someone in the crowd they clapped and cheered. He motioned that he couldn't sing and instead, the woman sang on of his songs and everyone danced.

After the song, they had to get out of there fast, and hopped in a cab. He knew he'd get hell from April but he didn't care. It was the best night of his life. He hadn't been out like that in a minute.

They fell asleep next to each other, and in the middle of the night, Camila was cuddled up against him and he felt safe. He felt, calm.

Sure enough in the morning, April was pissed. "Shawn Mendes, out with mystery girl."

April was pissed because now on top of him being on vocal rest he was out on the town and people thought he was just faking.

People on twitter who were at the bar, noted that he was indeed on vocal rest when the band asked him to sing and Camila pointed that detail out but April didn't care.