Call of The Void

Shawn was supposed to show up in New York City on August 7th, a day before his birthday but he managed to sneak away, with Andrew's help, and showed up on the 6th. He knew Camila worked at a coffee shop, so he put on sunglasses and a hat and sat at a table and watched her work for a bit before she noticed he was there. The only problem was that someone else noticed he was there and before he knew it, he was being surrounded. He couldn't see Camila over the crowd, but she managed to push her way through. She held out her hand and together she managed to pull him to the backroom. The crowd in the coffee chop was chanting his name but there was only one person he wanted to hear say his name. "SHAWN!? What on earth, why didn't you tell me you were coming? Why- how?" Camila couldn't believe he was here and his arms were wrapped around her and instead of answer he leaned down and kissed her and she kissed him back.

They had both been wondering the same thing. They'd both been wondering if their happenstance tour bus time and texting and talking was just a way of holding on to something that maybe, wasn't real. It was Shawn's worst fear that he'd kiss her and realize that he felt differently. It was Camila's worst fear that he'd come to the conclusion that she was a painfully boring ordinary person who didn't belong in his world. Both of those thoughts dissapeared the moment their lips connected in that back room of that coffee shop.

The chanting continued and Camila's coworker, Andrea popped her head in the back and was understandably in shock at seeing her coworker making out with Shawn Mendes but Camila pleaded, "Please... I have to get him out of here, don't say anything..."

"Okay, I'll tell them he went out the back..." Andrea said, thinking quickly.

That was Camila's escape plan."What, no, don't tell them that, we were going to sneak out the back!" 

"No, listen I'll tell them he went out the back and they'll run out and go look for him, meanwhile, you two go out the front..." Andrea smiled, "Also, Shawn.. I'm.. a huge fan..." she blushed and Shawn grinned.

"Thank you," Shawn grinned and then Andrea slipped out. They waited and heard more chanting and yelling and then more silence.

"Can.. I get a selfie?" Andrea said before they left. Shawn looked at Camila and she nodded. In fact, she took the picture and then they went out to the busy streets of New York, hailed a cab and headed to her place.

"Shawn, you should have told me you were coming!" Camila wasn't mad, just surprised.

"I'm sorry.. I didn't mean to mess up your.. job.. I just.. had to see you.." he said honestly. Their hands were intertwined and the cab stopped because they were in traffic.

"Hey... you that kid.. on the poster... my kid loves you," the cab driver grunted. He had a thick, Brooklyn accent. An accent Camila thought existed only in movies until she moved here.

"How old is your kid?" Shawn asked. 

"She's 17 but she's still my little girl." He showed them a picture on his visor, from her at prom.    "She's going to flip when I tell her I drove uh.. whatsyoname again, Shane Mendes?"

"Shawn..." He got it often so it didn't bother him.

"You uh.. think I can get a selfie or a picture or somethin'" the cab driver asked.

"Sure," nothing could bother him today, he was with her. Camila wondered how hard it must be for people to always want something from you. His life, seemed glamorous but being mobbed and chased after, would probably give anybody anxiety. Camila moved to the window as the cab driver took a picture and Shawn leaned behind him. He fished out a guitar pic from his pocket and handed it to the cab driver and then handed the cab driver $100 bill when the ride only cost $12.83.