three

Nishinoya tugs on (Y/N)'s arm. "I need to conduct an experiment!" he yells way too loudly for being so close.

"Uh-... sure?" (Y/N) lets himself be dragged to the center of the gym. Nishinoya then ushers a reluctant looking Kiyoko to stand next to him.

He steps back a few feet and stares hard at the two. The (h/c) haired second year felt like Nishinoya could see all his secrets with how intense his eyes were.

"Nishinoya.. what is going on?" Daichi sighs, rubbing his eyes. "It's way too early for this."

"I'm being a scientist right now," Nishinoya explains brightly, his gaze lightening. He leans in closer to Kiyoko before doing the same to (Y/N).

He abruptly spins around and marches over to the first year manager who just came back from a bathroom break.

"Yachi!" Nishinoya yells, grabbing her by the shoulders and shaking her harshly. "Will you please help me?!"

"O-Of course!" she yelps out. "Is someone bleeding out? Is it studying? What's happening?!"

Nishinoya's hands move to her wrist and he pulls her to stand on the other side of (Y/N). "Just stay here!"

"No one's bleeding so don't worry," (Y/N) reassures her, yawning tiredly as he rocks unconsciously on the balls of his feet.

"That's a relief but.. what is this for?" Yachi asks, nervously looking at (Y/N) from time to time and squeaking when he catches her looking.

Nishinoya doesn't reply, his gaze flicking back and forth between the three students.

His eyes widen and he suddenly groans, putting his hands on his face to hide.

(Y/N) raises an eyebrow. "What's wrong, Noya Noya? Are you feeling sick?"

"Noya Noya...?" Yachi turns back to (Y/N).

"It's a nickname that I just came up with!" he says rather proudly, turning to Yachi with a smile.

"Let's get back to practice!" Nishinoya shouts again, taking his hands away from his face.

Sugawara and Daichi share a concerned look.

Practice felt longer with how quiet Nishinoya is being. Every time (Y/N) looks at him, he's either staring directly at him or counting on his fingers and looking deep in thought.

(Y/N) slowly approaches him, trying to get him back to his noisy self.

"Are you still coming over for the weekend?" (Y/N) asks as they start to clean up the gym.

"Yeah!" Nishinoya nods. "I'm gonna kick your ass in whatever game you got." (Y/N) sputters out a relieved laugh.

He smiles and shoves Nishinoya's shoulder. "In your dreams."

They finish up cleaning the gym and head out, talking about random topics until they split up like they usually do.

Nishinoya packs an old backpack with whatever he needs as soon as he gets home. Then he throws on an old red hoodie he managed to find.

He leaves after hugging his mother goodbye and is half way to his friend's house when he gets a call from the one and only (L/N) (Y/N).

"What?" he answers.

"No hello? Anyways, I got the popsicles already and they're melting, so hurry up, Nishinishi-noyanoya!"

"I am hurrying!" Nishinoya picks up his pace, seeing (Y/N)'s house in the distance. "And... your nicknames are getting worse and worse, (Y/N)." He hangs up before the other second year gets a chance to protest.

He opens the door without any notice, already knowing that the house would be empty.

"Garigari-kun?" Nishinoya asks hopefully, throwing his shoes hazardously off in the door way. He marches over, dropping his backpack on the floor and grabbing the bag from the other second year.

"Yup," (Y/N) smiles at him before going to set up his nintendo switch.

He unwraps the soda flavored one and sticks it into his mouth happily. "You're actually the best, (Y/N)."

"I'm glad someone thinks so," he says distractedly before cheering when he finally sets his switch into the dock right. "I finally got Mario Kart!"

"Hasn't it been out for like two years?" Nishinoya says cheekily, biting down on the popsicle gently to catch the controller chucked at him. "Wait til' I eat my popsicle!"

He lays the controller down. (Y/N) and him sit with (Y/N) scrolling lazily through his phone. Nishinoya takes time to observe his teammate's face.

He definitely really likes (Y/N).

"Noya..? Aren't you finished?" (Y/N) finally looks over at him, and Nishinoya is confused.

"What?"

He points to the stick in Nishinoya's mouth. The libero pulls it out and notices there's no popsicle left.

"Were you just gnawing on the stick?" (Y/N) chuckles, plucking the wood from his hand. He gets up to throw it away. He comes back and puts the controller into Nishinoya's hand.

"Let's start," he smiles widely, and Nishinoya nods.

They're only a few rounds in when it becomes too chaotic.

"You're cheating!" (Y/N) yells out, dramatically leaning to the right with his controller. "Who gets a bullet bill in second place–?!"

Nishinoya laughs loudly as he passes (Y/N) who falls off the track. He crosses the finish line and runs right into (Y/N)'s view to do a victory dance.

"Get out of my way!" (Y/N) shouts, but it's too late. Seven other karts have already passes him. He comes in 9th. "Ugh, let's just eat already."

Nishinoya shoves the food (Y/N) prepared into his mouth greedily, and (Y/N) smiles proudly.

Hours later, Nishinoya pulls (Y/N) into his own room, flopping down onto the futon prepared for him. He now has his fish pajamas on, and (Y/N) can't help but laugh every time he looks over.

"Stop laughing," Noya sticks his tongue out the next time he looks over. "At least I have actual pajamas to wear and don't just put on an old jersey."

"It's comfortable," (Y/N) defends himself, tugging lightly on his white and dark blue jersey before reaching over to flick Nishinoya on the forehead. "Good night, Noya." He slips under his covers.

"Good night." Nishinoya stretches out onto the futon, staring up at the ceiling until his eyelids became too heavy to keep open.

-

Nishinoya shifts slightly in the futon before fully waking up. He sits up and sees that (Y/N) isn't on his bed.

"(Y/N)..?" he mumbles and looks around the room, spotting the teen sitting at his window seat as he looks out through the glass.

He wonders why for a few seconds before his brain registers the sound of rain pattering down onto the house.

He slowly stands up and staggers over to him, plopping down on the seat.

"Hi, Noya Noya," he looks at Nishinoya who is now sleepily leaning against him. To the libero's surprise, he doesn't seem to mind.

Nishinoya stares out the window, hearing his friend a yawn.

Everything that was once hidden in the darkness of the night is revealed as a flash of lightning booms loudly outside.

Nishinoya's eyes flick back and forth, looking but not seeing. The darkness returns, and Nishinoya yawns too, more of his weight leaning into (Y/N)'s side.