six

The next day starts off normal. Nishinoya walks to school with (Y/N).

"I got a new hoodie!" Nishinoya informs him brightly, shoving on a bright red hoodie over his jacket. "I used to have an old one but.." he shrugs, not knowing how to finish his sentence as he awkwardly looks away.

"You look great but.. Aren't you gonna get too hot?" (Y/N) asks, tugging one of the strings on Noya's hoodie.

"Nah, I'll be fine," Nishinoya waves him off, a grin tugging up the corners of his lips.

"You're gonna have to take it off," (Y/N) reminds as they head to the gym for after school practice.

Nishinoya pouts and shoves playfully at his shoulder. "Let me look good for at least two minutes in peace, alright?"

"You always look good," (Y/N) says. Nishinoya's face matches his hoodie. "What? Can't take a compliment?"

"Shut up!" Nishinoya shouts, (jumping onto him and) banging a fist onto the top of his head. "You're so embarrassing!" He grabs onto him tightly.

(Y/N) laughs and tries to escape his grip. He only ends up falling right outside the gym's door, taking the other down with him. "Alright!" he laughs, pushing a hand into Nishinoya's face. "Get off already!"

"No! You're gonna carry me to the changing rooms!"

"No way! You're too heavy!"

"You're just weak," Nishinoya sticks his tongue out at him.

(Y/N) rolls his eyes and pushes him off. Nishinoya follows him into the gym, knowing that this must be a productive day.

-

After school and practice had ended, Nishinoya had to stay behind for a few more minutes than the others. Which was bad, since he had to keep (Y/N) from the club room.

He quickly walks in the direction of the room, spotting (Y/N) as he hops up the stairs. He had just walked into the club room.

Nishinoya speeds up, jumping ahead of him and blocking him from heading farther in the room.

"Noya? Is there something wrong?"

"You're banned for 20 minutes!" Nishinoya yells, shoving (Y/N) out of the changing room right as he tries to enter and shutting the door tightly in his face.

He was planning on kissing Kiyoko, but he remembers quite clearly how hard her slaps are.

And (Y/N)... he blushed too hard at the thought to even try.

"What is going on?" Daichi asks. "Are you two actually fighting–"

"No!" Nishinoya cries out, his hands gripping at his hair. "There's something I have to ask!"

"What is going on? Stop panicking," Sugawara takes his hands away from his head.

"I thought I liked (Y/N) because I was blushing around him, right? But then I got sick, and he told me that's why my face kept turning red, so then I thought I would start going back to Kiyoko, and trust me, I was going to but then I think he might've flirted with me at one point, and–..."

He slowly trails off as he sees Tsukishima banging his head on the wall. He glares at the first year. "Respect your senpai and listen to my concerns!"

He turns back to Sugawara, waiting for a response to his mostly incoherent rambling.

"Nishinoya," Sugawara drawls, disappointment lacing his words. "I.. you're.."

"An idiot," Tsukishima finishes for him, tugging off his knee pads.

"I am not!" Nishinoya protests, pointing at Tsukishima. "You're an idiot!"

Tsukishima stares at him blankly.

"So, you came to the conclusion that you liked him," Sugawara recaps. "But then.. you got sick, so you 'connected the dots' and thought blushing around (Y/N)–"

"–You didn't connect shit, by the way. You blushed only around him and thought it was because you were sick?" Tsukishima smirks at him.

"That's what he told me!" Nishinoya shouts.

"Anyways!" Sugawara interferes before Noya can get too upset. "You thought it was just a symptom of your cold?"

"No, but that's what he told me! And why would he lie to me?" Nishinoya repeats. Everyone in the club room lets out a collective sigh. "Was that wrong? So I was right at the start?!"

"Yes," they all say in unison.

Nishinoya groans, face reddening in embarrassment. "What am I supposed to do?!"

"Confess to him," Daichi finally says something, and Sugawara nods in approval. "Wasn't he giving you and Tanaka confession advice or something?"

"I think it was just Tanaka—" Asahi meekly speaks up only to be chopped in the side by Sugawara.

"Irrelevant."

"Plus, you thought he was flirting with you, right? I would just do it as soon as possible," Daichi continues, standing up from tying his shoes. "And if you're nervous he might reject you, I'm sure nothing will change between you two."

Nishinoya frowns. He hadn't even thought of being potentially rejected.

"I think he left," Kageyama peeks out the door. "I don't see him."

Nishinoya slumps over.

"Everything will turn out fine," Sugawara says reassuringly. "Just.. trust your feelings, alright? There's no shame to feeling this way."

"But I.. I've never asked anyone out before.. well, the one time I did, she ran away from me, but that's besides the point," Nishinoya sighs. "And what if he's mad with me because I kicked him out? He left! And what if–"

"Cheer up, Nishinoya-san!" Hinata waves to get the libero's attention. "You're acting all weird!"

"Yeah," Tanaka shivers. "It's kinda of creepy seeing you all anxious and upset."

"I think it shows how much he likes (L/N)-san," Yamaguchi pipes up, and Sugawara nods.

"Now go and ask him out, Noya!"