nine

"He's sick, he's got to be." Nishinoya stands up from doing a rolling receive, looking over to Tanaka who's speaking. "Who falls asleep in the middle of practice?"

"What? Who fell asleep?" Tanaka points over to (Y/N) who's knocked out against the wall.

Nishinoya walks over, crouching down in front of the other teen. "Suga, do you have a pen?" Sugawara ignores Daichi's pointed stare and hands him one.

Nishinoya gives him a nod as thanks and pulls the cap off dramatically. Another chance.

He starts to write 'I love you' on (Y/N)'s forehead before suddenly (Y/N) jerks awake. Nishinoya flinches backwards and loses balance, falling onto his back.

"Good morning!" Sugawara says in between bursts of laughter.

(Y/N) yawns, stretching out his arms. "Sorry."

"Why did you fall asleep?" Daichi asks from beside Suga.

"I think I'm sick or something," (Y/N) shrugs. Nishinoya wonders if it's from him.

"Do you want to go home early?"

"I'll stay," he shrugs again but doesn't make a move to get up from his spot. Sugawara snickers when (Y/N) clearly has no idea of the unfinished phrase on his forehead.

When it's time to leave, Noya has to drag a half asleep (Y/N) out the gym.

"You looked upset all today," Nishinoya recalls his expression at lunch. He had been scowling at his food every time Noya glanced over at him.

"'Cause I was," (Y/N) answers shortly.

Nishinoya gives him a questioning look, and (Y/N) sighs.

"Some girl wouldn't leave me alone all day and kissed me in the hall, twice."

"What?" Nishinoya flushes red with anger. "Why?"

"'Cause she likes me or something?"

"That sucks. Maybe she'll leave you alone tomorrow." Nishinoya pouts to himself, stepping closer so their arms brush as they walk. "Do you want me to come over today?"

"No, I'm just gonna sleep all day probably."

"...How would you want to be confessed to?" Noya asks suddenly as they near the spot they usually split up.

"..." (Y/N)'s eyes are closed as he walks, and Nishinoya huffs, elbowing him in the side. "Why are you asking anyways?" (Y/N) asks, blinking his eyes open.

"Uh... one of my friends was wondering! She wants to ask you out but she doesn't think a simple confession note will do... So... how would you want to be asked out?"

(Y/N) simply shakes his head and doesn't answer. He turns at the bend as usual, leaving Noya behind. Nishinoya frowns, kicking at a rock.

"What the heckkk," he drawls, glaring up at the sky. "I could just ask him out straightforwardly... but there's no fun or effort in that."

What is fun and full of effort is sneaking into (Y/N)'s yard and sticking a bunch of sticky notes that confess his love to him on his window.

When he gets home, he grabs a bunch of stacks of sticky notes and a pen before he makes his way over to (Y/N)'s house. He starts writing as neatly as he can, putting a bunch of compliments onto the notes. Then he states how he feels on a good bunch of them.

He's pretty proud of his work. He starts sticking them on (Y/N)'s window, pressing down so it'll stick better. He wrote on the back of the sticky notes so you can see what they say from inside.

He takes a step back, nodding at how the notes form a heart.

He is so getting a boyfriend tomorrow.