seven

(Y/N) watches Nishinoya frantically bounce all around the gym before he looks to Daichi in concern.

"Is he freaking out or something?"

Daichi only sighs in response.

"Hey, Noya," (Y/N) walks up to him after he runs into Tsukishima's back for the second time. "Are you alright?"

"Yup! I'm just super excited!" Nishinoya beams, and (Y/N) can't help but smile too. He guesses he was worried for nothing.

"Hey, do you want to go and buy some popsicles with me after practice?" (Y/N) asks Nishinoya offhandedly after a small silence.

Nishinoya frowns and shakes his head. "Sorry, I'm kinda busy right after practice."

"That's okay.. How about tomorrow?"

"Can't right after then too.. and I'm pretty sure Hinata is planning something that day," Nishinoya's shoulders bunch up and hide his neck. "Maybe the day after tomorrow? I have to check though.."

(Y/N) nods slowly and Nishinoya turns away quickly to talk with Asahi.

A few moments later, Tanaka makes his way over to (Y/N), casually leaning against the wall next to him and whistling. (Y/N) gives him an unimpressed look.

"I'm guessing you want more advice?" (Y/N) sighs in mock exasperation. Tanaka nods. "Okay. What about?"

"Let's say you're asking a girl out for the first time... You said flowers, right? For asking someone out?"

"Yeah, I think flowers would be a good idea," (Y/N) sighs as Nishinoya looks over his own shoulder to watch. "Everyone likes a little bit of effort. She'll like it more if you add something other than just a confession. You might want to go all out for the first time. Or at least, that's what I would do."

-

Nishinoya races home after he splits up from (Y/N), checking his phone once he barrels into his room. There are several messages from the volleyball club chat.

(futureACE): i mentioned this earlier, but do u guys wanna come 2 the park tomorrow and play a game of volleyball?! we can show off 2 the kids!!!!!

(kageyama): they will probably be wondering why an elementary schooler is playing with a bunch of high schoolers

(futureACE): TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW

(sugasuga): That sounds like fun!! :)

(tanakakakakaka): I'm down!!

The rest of the team besides (Y/N) responds, and Nishinoya pouts to himself. He types that he can go before turning off his phone.

He'll see (Y/N) in half an hour anyways. He washes the gel from his hair and gets on his suit, grabbing (favorite flowers) he had bought earlier. He wraps a red tie around his neck haphazardly, having no time or skill to tie it properly.

He's got this cat in the bag. Hopefully.

He exits his house and walks to (Y/N)'s house, forcing his nerves to be calm. It's just his best friend. There's no need to be worried. He's only asking him out. On a romantic date.

He gets to the door and texts (Y/N), saying he's outside.

(Y/N) opens his door a few moments later. "Noya! Um, I thought you were busy today?" There's a hopeful look on his face that Nishinoya can't seem to understand.

"Only right after practice.. Here!" there's a bunch of (favorite flower) flowers shoved in his face.

"Oh, you knew it was my mom's birthday today?" (Y/N) says brightly, taking the flowers. "I'll give these to her from you, thanks for remembering! But.. why do you have a suit on with a red tie?"

Nishinoya looks like he spaced out. (Y/N) waves a hand in front of his face.

"Oh, of course!" he snaps out of his daze quickly. "And um, I was just trying on the suit Tanaka gave me!" he hides the note behind his back, embarrassment bubbling up quickly in his chest.

"Oh, okay," (Y/N) says. There's an awkward silence, and Nishinoya winces.

"I-I gotta go. See you at the park tomorrow? Maybe?" Nishinoya stammers out, waving goodbye as he spins around to leave. He ignores (Y/N)'s confused 'what?' and retreats back to his home.

He needs time to make up another plan.