eight

Tomorrow after school and after a bunch of useless flirting that gets Noya nowhere closer to dating (Y/N), the libero arrives at the park Hinata told the team to meet at.

He has a volleyball clutched in hands, a heartfelt message written on it in washable marker. A fool proof plan... That is if (Y/N) shows up.

Nishinoya checks his phone again. (Y/N) still hasn't said anything, and the rest of the team has already arrived. In his restlessness, he whips the volleyball at a tree only for it to ricochet backwards. He ducks, and it smacks into the back of an unsuspecting Asahi.

Nishinoya slinks off to a bench to sulk in what little privacy a public bench has to offer.

"Where is heeee?" Nishinoya whines when Suga walks up to him half an hour later. "Why isn't he here yet?"

"I bet it's your fault," Tsukishima says from a little ways away, helpful as always. Why was he even listening? Nishinoya narrows his eyes at him.

"...Didn't you take him out of the group chat?" Sugawara asks suddenly, throwing Nishinoya off the bench so he can sit down and drink from his water bottle. "You never added him back, did you?"

"Uh..." Nishinoya thought for a few moments before letting his face fall into the grass. "No, I didn't! It is my fault!"

Tsukishima laughs.

"Come on, Noya-san! Love makes you weak!" Hinata waves for him to join.

Nishinoya drags himself dramatically off the ground and runs off to join them.

-

"(Y/N)!" Nishinoya bounds up to him when he sees him walking to school. "I'm so sorry!" He crashes into (Y/N), wrapping his arms around him and almost knocking them both over.

"For what exactly?" he pries Nishinoya off of him, holding him at arms length when he tries to hug him again. "Noya?"

"I took you off the group chat and then you got left out from Hinata's practice thing!" Nishinoya explains guiltily, his head bowed. "I'm so sorry."

"Oh." Nishinoya lifts his head. (Y/N) doesn't look too mad like he had expected. "I probably wouldn't have gone anyways." He lets him go and continues walking, Noya following.

"Huh? Why?" Nishinoya asks, and (Y/N) only shrugs in response. Nishinoya prods him in the side, urging him to give an answer.

"I was tired yesterday," he explains and slaps Noya's hand when it comes back again to like his side. "Come on, let's hurry up before we're late to practice."

They make it to the gym, where the rest of the team is already there.

"I feel like we're always the last ones to get here," (Y/N) grumbles, and Noya only grins at him.

He settles on the ground, Nishinoya beside him just as Tanaka jumps up to them. He joins the two in stretching and doesn't bother to even wait to ask his usual batch of questions.

"Do girls really like sharing clothes?"

"I guess," (Y/N) says, rubbing at one of his eyes distractedly. "Maybe it depends on the girl. I think Yachi likes it when Yamaguchi gives her his hoodie."

Nishinoya grins, ideas already forming. The day goes without any problems or arguments—Kageyama and Hinata seem more peaceful as of late to everyone's suspicion—and soon it's the next day.

Nishinoya swears the days are going by quicker. A good reason to ask (Y/N) out again today! It makes sense, please believe him.

"Isn't it cold this morning?" Noya asks, sliding up to (Y/N)'s side when they finally join each other on their way to school.

"Hi, Noya," his friend greets him before looking over and smiling. "I guess it is."

Noya nods and immediately holds up a folded scarf to (Y/N). But this isn't just any scarf. No, this is a scarf with a brand new folded note inside of it. Nishinoya had taken extra time to make sure his writing was neat, and that the colors of the writing matched the colors of the scarf.

It was as much effort as Nishinoya could put into a scarf. He also ironed it... well... tried to. He doesn't really know if it made a difference or not to be honest.

(Y/N) stares at him for a few moments before his smile gets wider and he takes the scarf.

(Y/N) suddenly yawns tiredly, eyes tearing up as he lazily unfolds the scarf.

Nishinoya watches, distraught, as the note falls from the scarf unnoticed. It hit the ground on its folded corner with an almost inaudible thwack.

"Thanks, Noya Noya," he wrapped the scarf around his neck and continued walking.

Noya picked up the note, shoving it into his bag. It wouldn't be special if he just handed the note to him. (Y/N) would think he put no effort at all into this. It wasn't the same as seeing a note in a scarf... right? Nishinoya frowns, thinking for a few moments before he nods to himself. Right.

He caught up to his friend.

"Hey, just wondering... have you had one of those vision tests at the eye doctor lately?" The 'you blind fuck' part Nishinoya had pondered on adding was left unsaid.