|3:out all day

Dedicated to isoyot2020

The picture above is who I imagined Julia 𝐚𝐬

The heating sun was enough to turn a tray of Crayfish light brown.

Julia stared at the black young man down the street. He had parked his ice cream cart and was now crowded with people; both young and old - all pointing and requesting for frozen creams in bottles and packs.

She turned back to Daniel, who was also eye glued to the scene. The weather outside was enough reason to buy an ice cream. So why not?

"how much do you have?" she asked him.

Not bothering to answer, Daniel checks his pockets counting the naira notes he had. Then walks over to the ice cream cart with Julia tagging along. Unlike other boys at school Daniel is Julias' childhood friend, he was always the one sponsoring both Julia and Delilah's menu any time they were together, without an intention in mind.

The man leaned on his bicycle seat, and opened up his cooler box; displaying his goods. Some empty packs and bottles were entwined and clasped on a metal rod on the cooler for display.

Julia had chosen both their ice creams and Daniel had paid for it. The sun was now setting, shuffling legs as they walked home to Julia's house, even with the help of the ice creams they were still hungry and tired.

While walking, stuffing tongues in their frozen creams, a small child unknowingly hits Julia from behind making her ice cream to fly out of her hands to the dirty grounds of the streets.

"you blind?"
(Are you blind?)

"sorry aunty" the child said, before running off to play with the other children that were now standing waiting for a showmax. Julia didn't know how to react, the child had apologized and it was just a mere accident.

She turned back, expecting a young teen boy waiting to sooth her anger but he had left her behind, still licking his ice cream as he walked home. She ran towards him, catching up with his slow pace walk. She was colour green cause he still had his ice cream, and hers was busy worshipping the dirty streets.

"Daniel, I won the race we ran earlier" she said "so where's my reward?"

He stops in his tracks, then looks at her cunning expression. She wanted him to buy her a second Ice creams. Which he didn't plan on buying.

" you didn't win neither did I, you fell on the floor, and I got distracted."

It is true. She didn't win neither did he. Though, she still wanted the ice cream.

"okay, then give me your ice cream,"

"No." he declined leaving her stunned.

"Please nau," she said, with pleading eyes.

"Oya take." he said, handing Julia his ice cream. Stretching her hand. Elated that her friend was sacrificing his happiness for hers', not seeing the cunning smirk he had, he drags his ice cream back walking away. Making her look like a fool gripping air.

"No!" he yelled, walking away. Her smile turned upside down. She ran towards him not restraining what she had planned on doing, since her ice cream was knocked out of her hands. Coming with full force, she grabbed his ice cream pulling it to her side with all her might.

They had a tug of war; strength against strength, people started staring but they didn't care. The ice cream shrinks in its form as they dragged on, the milky goodness jumped out of the bottle, covering their faces. They had forgotten to close the bottle by the cap. Daniel gave up with a scowl on his face. It was no use fighting over the ice cream. It was already halfway finished.

"abeg, I'm going home to eat, and play football with Jessy." he said, cleaning the ice cream off his face with his hands. Knowing Daniel so well, he was planning on playing football with is peers at a public school field, not mind how late it was.

The straw had fallen, so she bends down picking it up; tapping it on her palm removing small pieces of dirt found, before plugging it back in, to suck from the small opening. Aah, she felt so refreshed.

He smushed the cream more, making it look like a half white beard. She looked up at him, seeing he had made a terrible attempt in cleaning his face.

She laughed. "okay."

...ᘛ....

Walking into the living room which was surprisingly quiet, she expected her mother chatting away with one of her friends, or neighbors but non happened. She glanced at the clock which read six sharp, heading straight to her bathroom were she stripped her sweat filled clothes off and took a bath, her body deserved it after all the running and fight wars she had today.

Some minutes later, dressed in her usual house wear, she matched to her mothers' kitchen perceiving the tempting aroma of her mothers' homemade stew.

"Mummy, Good evening,"

"Ah, your back?!" Julias' mother said, spotting her at the kitchen entrance " I thought you'll sleep outside tonight."

Julia fought the urge to roll her eyes at her mother being the typical African mother she is. She dazzled into the kitchen seeing as her mother needed help preparing dinner.

She took her plate of food which her mother cooked, and had now dished hers', walking over to the dinning were they would eat, she had missed her usual afternoon swallow which is why she couldn't wait to start eating. They prayed a short prayer, then started eating.

"So, what were you doing outside until now?" her mother asked, giving Julia an intense stare. Her father hadn't come back from work, so the tension in the room was less.

"we were practicing for our schools inter house sports"

"mnhmm," mother said, "what sport?"

"skipping," she lousily replied.

"skip well oh," mother said, " I want when I'm talking about you to my friends, I have something to boast about."

"eh?"

"when I was your age, I was the best in everything." surprisingly, everybody was the best, then who takes last?

Julias mother is a young nurse in her middle thirties, still being the typical African housewife; she's not outdated in the modern lifestyle.

The dinning lights flicks off making them loss their visions at sight. The room was now dark from the power outage and the fact that it was late.

" I'm not surprised." her mother said, searching for a torch.

»«
In a way this chapter was boring, I found myself sleeping while typing it. 😪

Don't be a ghost reader, comment and star;)
#staysafe