Chapter 5

Ophelia

After I let the girls inside, I lead them to the couch.

"Your apartment looks so nice. I mean ours is identical except the furniture and decor." Maddie says.

"Thanks. My mom actually did it, or rather, she organized it and handled it from LA, where I'm originally from. She's an interior designer so she insisted on doing it." I say.

"That's cool. By the way, why did you move? You said you're from LA, right?" Maddie asks curiously.

"I transferred from UCLA to NYU."

"No way! We attend NYU as well. We moved to this apartment last year as it is near campus." Maddie exclaims excitedly while Hazel gives me a warm smile.

"What major do you take?" I ask them curiously.

"Business." Maddie answers.

"We're in our last year." Hazel adds.

"I'm gonna start my third year in fashion design." I tell them.

"Looks like we won't be seeing each other on campus as our buildings are at totally different places but I hope we'll see you around here."

"Sure, i mean we are neighbors." I smile.

Maddie looks at me like she's trying to figure something out. "Now I recognize you! I swear you looked so familiar, but I couldn't place your face." Maddie exclaims loudly.

Hazel looks at her with questioning eyes.

I clear my throat awkwardly and say, "My name is Ophelia Sinclair."

"Oh." Hazel says as if she just realized something. "That does ring a bell. Aren't you William Sinclair's daughter?"

"Yep, that's me." I say.

"Why aren't you taking business then?" Maddie asks. "I'm sorry if this is too personal. I shouldn't have asked." She quickly adds, lowering her eyes.

"No, it's fine." I assure her. "My mom is a designer and I kind of grew up with spending a lot of time with her in her office designing new outfits and trying on new things. I think being the only daughter made me connect with it more. You can express your emotions and all your ideas in the most beautiful way. So yeah being a fashion designer is my dream but business is definitely my second place and you can actually combine these." They nod.

"I wonder if the feud between Sinclair Inc. and Davis Corporation will continue when the next generation takes over." Maddie says, more like thinking out loud. After a glare from Hazel towards her she realizes what she just said. "I'm so sorry. I really am. I..."

"It's okay." I interrupt her, giving her an assuring smile.

Sometimes I wonder myself how everything will be after my brother and Aiden take over and what will happen when we tell our family about our marriage. I always try to ignore my concern and keep telling myself that everything will work out, but to be honest, I have a bad feeling about it. I don't know Aiden's family good enough to form my own opinion of them as I only saw them at previous events and galas but I do know my family and my biggest fear is to be a disappointment for my family.

After a long awkward silence Hazel is the first to talk. "Um, Maddie and I still need to buy a few things before starting our final year of college. You wanna join?"

"That would be great." I smile.

We all grab our things before heading out to shop for a few college supplies. Hazel and Maddie suggest taking me on a sightseeing tour which I politely decline because I've already been to New York at least 20 times due to my dad's business. So after shopping everything we needed, we get New York pizza for takeout.

We arrive at their apartment when it is already 8 pm. Their apartment is decorated in a golden-white theme which looks really good. We decide to eat in the sitting area while hearing some chill music and get to know each other better.

Maddie actually was born here in New York and lived here her whole life. Her mum's side of the family is from Austria while her dad's side is from Angola which explains her dark skin. Her parents are both businesspeople and once she turns 25, she will take over her parents' company. She is 21 and has two little twin siblings who are 15 years old, a girl and a boy. Her ex boyfriends name is Owen and he is a law student in NYU. He's the reason why she lives with Hazel as they both were looking for a roommate. Her favorite food is Kaiserschmarrn that her Austrian grandma makes, her favorite color is lilac, she likes techno and she is an outgoing person with a bubbly personality. She's also very open about her being bisexual.

Hazel, on the other hand, is more reserved and not as outgoing. She was born and raised in Toronto and Whistler but moved to New York when she was 18 to study abroad. She is an only child and is 21 years old. She comes from a family of musicians but decided for herself to pursue a different career path. She is also a really active person and her favorite food is red velvet cake, just like her favorite color.

I also tell them about my family, life in California, my friends, especially Autumn who they actually know from a few movies.

"What is the meaning of your necklace?" Hazel asks pointing at my neck.

I look down and realize that I've been playing with it the whole time. My necklace is a silver band with my engagement ring and my wedding ring. I always wear it around my neck, so I feel close to Aiden and as a symbol of our commitment but normally I hide it under my shirts. Whenever I'm with Aiden or with Autumn at home I wear it on my fingers but in public isn't possible because paparazzi would let the whole world know, including our families. We would be screwed!

"Oh, you mean these rings?" I ask playing it down with a calm tone while inside I'm freaking out.

She nods so I answer, "It's from my family." I look at them and I see that they are satisfied with my answer. Technically I didn't lie because Aiden is my family but I'm pretty sure that's not what they associate with me saying family.

"That's cool. I have an heirloom too, but it's not nearly as pretty as yours, it's stunning." Maddie exclaims and I smile at her. I don't bother telling her it's not an heirloom because it would only cause more questions and I haven't clarified anything.

"Ok, I think we should go to bed. It's getting pretty late and we have class the day after tomorrow. What about we show you around campus tomorrow?" Hazel says.

"Sounds good. I'm actually tired, too." I say while yawning.

We say goodbye and I go over to my apartment to get ready for bed.

I lay down on my bed and quickly send a "good night" text to Aiden before drifting to sleep with a big smile on my face.