Chapter 10

Ophelia

Waking up early is one of the best things in the world. Well, not having heavy bags under your eyes but seeing the sun slowly rising in its beauty. It feels like everything begins new and everything just started in this second. I used to go to the beach to watch the sunset every day in California, sometimes alone, sometimes with my dad. I miss it. I like having a daily routine and having things planned out. It changed over the years but I still like to keep some traditions.

After the sun is in its full glory lighting New York I make my way back to Aiden's apartment. After last night I wanted to come up here again because it feels like a safe space to think and I learned that only Aiden has access to this level.

"Morning, angel." Aiden stands at the stove making some pancakes for breakfast, smiling brightly at me.

"Morning. I didn't want to wake you up. I went upstairs to watch the sunrise." I snuggle into his chest, still tired out from last night. Not that I complain. "Last night was absolutely perfect. Thank you."

"It really was. I still can't decide which part was better the dinner or our private party but I think I'll go with the second one." He smirks, pulling me into a deep kiss.

After a few seconds I push him back, trying to catch my breath again. "You really should pay attention to your pancakes, lover boy."

He shoots me a playful glare obvious to the fact that the pancakes are about to burn. I try to stifle my laughter, but I can't help laughing.

"Oh my god this is hilarious. Who would've thought that the great Aiden Richard Alexander Davis burns his pancakes just because he is distracted by his wife." I exclaim teasingly. "Ok thinking about it nobody can blame you. I mean look at me." I laugh.

Aiden playfully rolls his eyes. "I swear you can be so cocky. But you're not wrong."

Aiden is already trying to save the pancakes by scraping the burn but he gives up and ends up throwing them away. Good thing he only had two in the pan.

In the meantime, I check my phone and see about 20 messages from Ronnie all saying I should go to my apartment if I'm not there asap.

"What happened?" Aiden asks, obviously seeing my confused and worried look.

"I have to go back to my apartment. Ronnie said I should come immediately but I don't know what's going on." I say while already thinking about many different scenarios about what is going on.

"Hey everything will be alright. Just try to calm down and go to your apartment. You'll find out soon enough." He hands me his car keys and kisses my head before I head to his car that is parked in the parking lot.

All the way over I can't stop thinking about all worst case scenarios but why would Ronnie tell me to go to my apartment then? Maybe it has something to do with the owner of my apartment building but why would he inform Ronnie. It all doesn't make any sense. When I arrive I park the car on the street not even thinking about the possibility that anyone could see me getting out of Aiden's car. People most likely wouldn't even notice as he was only seen with it once.

I hurry upstairs but I don't see anyone or anything that's different but I make sure to check every room. I'm about to text when the doorbell rings. I rush to the door and open it, revealing a woman who I share many features with.

"Mom?" I exclaim, visibly shocked.

"Surprise!" She chuckles and embraces me in a tight hug.

"What are you doing here?" I ask still not believing what is happening right now.

"I have a fashion show tomorrow and took this opportunity to surprise my daughter." She explains.

"Why didn't I know anything about this? Literally every fashion show of yours is all over the country if not even all over the world."

"This is a secret fashion show. Isn't that a great idea? Your dad gave me the idea and I love it. I only sent invitations out to 100 people and I brought five for you to give them some of your friends."

My eyes widen. "Ok wow I really don't know what to say. But I like the idea. Is there still something you need help with to plan?"

"A few things but Natty has everything under control so nothing to worry about." She says referring to her personal assistant. "I thought we could go out to eat something. Ronnie is still waiting in the car."

"Sure just let me change real quick. Oh and you can look for my Prada baguette bag it has to be somewhere."

"No problem." She says smiling at the fact that I always place my bags somewhere and always have to search for them. Back in LA my mom used to put trackers inside my bags so I could quickly find it when I had to leave the house. This may sound weird but it actually saved me a lot of time.

I decide to wear a beige oversized suit with a white top underneath and a pair of platform shoes from my mom's summer collection. I style it with my Vivienne Westwood pearl necklace and put six tiny golden hoops in my ear holes. I already did my makeup and straightened my hair at Aiden's but I still bring my slightly outgrown curtain bangs back in form.

"Ok I'm ready. Did you find-"I go back to the living room.

"-the bag. Yes I did." She hands me the bag and I put my keys, phone, wallet, some gum, lip balm, perfume and a bottle of hand sanitizer inside.

"Perfect let's go." I say and open the door and we walk over to the elevator. The door opens and reveals Maddie and Hazel with some grocery bags.

"Hey, Ophelia. How are you?" Maddie says and Hazel smiles.

"Hey girls. I'm good thanks. Oh sorry. Maddie, Hazel this is my mom Chloé, mom these are my next door neighbors Maddie and Hazel. I told you about them on the phone." I explain.

"Yes I remember the business majors. Nice to meet you both." My mom smiles and shakes their hands.

"It's an honor to meet you Mrs. Sinclair." Maddie says with a bright smile while Hazel shakes her head in agreement.

"Chloé is fine." She smiles back at them just as brightly. My mom can be very bossy and strict when it comes to work but most of the time, she is just the sweetest human being in this world.

"Would you like to come to my mom's fashion show tomorrow? It's very private so please don't tell anyone about it. So if you're free tomorrow evening it would be awesome if you came." I tell them.

"Of course. Thank you." Maddie says excitedly.

"We'd love to." Hazel responds politely.

"Perfect. I will text you the details later." I say and my mom claps her hands happily. We wave them goodbye and take the elevator downstairs. Ronnie already is opening the car door for my mom. I mouth him a thank you which he responds to with a smile and a knowing look.

Shortly after we arrive at our favorite French restaurant in New York. It's actually a very expensive place where many upper class people eat. The most important point is that you have your privacy because in this restaurant everyone wants to eat without paparazzi or curious people disturbing them. Usually everyone just minds their own business.

Ronnie opens the door for us and drives away because my mother said he should spend the afternoon with his family.

The doorman is already opening the door for us and we mutter a thank you as we enter the restaurant. The hostess comes over to us and leads us to our table in a more secluded area. The waiter greets us and hands us the menu carts.

"I really love this place. We really should come here again with your father and brother in the beginning of October." My mom says.

I nod slightly confused why my family will be back in New York until it clicks. The annual Hansen charity gala to raise awareness of rare diseases and to fight against them. Every year they chose a different one. The Hansen family is one of the most influential families in New York. Their company is involved in the research field and their children travel with doctors without borders. Their son Eric is one of my brother's good friends. Almost every influential family in America is invited.

That means the Davis family most likely will be there. Fun.