• pieridae •

Pieridae: A family of butterflies with about 76 genera containing about 1,100 species, mostly from tropical Africa and Asia with some varieties in the more northern regions of North America. Most pierid butterflies are white, yellow, or orange in coloration, often with black spots.
•☀️•☀️•
2

The moon cast its fervent glow upon the desolate forest, trees empty of leaves as they all rested on the forest bed. The early winter breeze shook bare branches and caused for frenzied and cold animals to let themselves be known. Others slept out of sight, hibernating until the frost finally melted away.

But Hemera Leora was in her English class, watching a movie that depicted winter nightfall to the best of its ability. Leora found that the night always stood out to her. Millions of stars all presenting themselves at once seemed to be so much brighter than the singular one that was called the sun. Out on a cold night with a full moon, worshiping it as the wolves did, seemed like such a pipe dream.

She glanced around the room to see what her friends were doing. Some students were sleeping, others were drawing in their notebooks. No one was as captivated by the imaginary being projected onto the whiteboard in the front of the classroom. Maybe it was because all of her friends didn't have curfews or restrictions. They were able to watch the silhouette of leaves falling from trees as they stargazed.

Leora read a duology not too long ago titled Strange The Dreamer. She hadn't been able to get it out of her head since. The concept of being trapped alone in a floating statue without ever fully knowing the reasoning behind it or the truth, resonated within Leora more than it probably should have. Then if she added in the romanticizing of nighttime and dreams, it was so utterly beautiful that her mind simply couldn't move past it.

Leaning on the palm of her hand, she tilted her head to peer out of the window beside her desk. The mid-afternoon sun stood tall and proud, lighting the world beneath it. Far below the second story that she occupied, there were hints of birds and hundreds of dandelions sprouting from various patches of grass.

Though it was a soothing sight filled with an aesthetic of its own, she found that it wasn't the sort of sight that she wished to see. Leora hungered for the chill of a late night wind ruffling her dark curly hair and fanning her face. To be able to climb a tree to its highest branch and reach for constellations whilst shrouded in a comforting blanket of darkness.

But that was all a daydream that had yet to come to fruition. Each day was limited to only the time when the sun had yet to dip beneath the horizon, leaving Leora to do nothing more than wish upon a red-seeded dandelion that she would one day experience more than the daytime, and be able to create constellations of her own with only the company of the moon. Leora was going to make her dream a reality, even if that day was far away.

•☀️•☀️•