• arctiidae •

Arctiidae: A large family of moths with around 11,000 species found all over the world. It includes 6,000 neotropical species. This family contains the groups commonly known as tiger moths (or tigers). Tiger moths usually have bright colours, footmen (which are usually much drabber), lichen moths, and wasp moths.
🌙🌙
5

Her mother only let her out of the confines of her house once a week on a Tuesday, always at some odd hour past midnight. She said that it was the least likely time for someone to notice the unknown girl, and she was able to breath in the outside air beneath a blanket of stars.

Diane sat on an old lawn chair right beside the backdoor as she watched after her daughter as though she was an infant. And in some ways, she was. Nyx adored the outdoors, laying down in the center of the unkept grass and staring up at the night sky with a smile. As much as she dreamt of the afternoon sun illuminating the sky, she still took what she could get.

Nyx didn't know of any constellations previously known, but she did know that they were called constellations. Diane had told her that people created patterns in the stars and gave them names. But she never told Nyx that there were set constellations, resulting in her finding her own.

There was a flower and a sun, a man with his child, a waterfall, and a large shoe. Those were just a few of the ones that she could always remember and find again, since they never seemed to stray too far.

Though the air was chilly, Nyx wore only a white dress and a long cardigan overtop. Her black hair was braided elaborately with intricate weaving and the only thing holding it all together was the singular ponytail holder she had wrapped around the bottom. Diane had a few magazines with sections about different kinds of braids, which Nyx then taught herself out of boredom.

The tall wooden planks of the fence kept their nightly endeavors a secret from curious neighbors. Nyx was able to roll around freely on the cold and damp grass whilst Diane reprimanded her when she got stains on her dress. She looked fondly at the few flowers spread throughout the yard, even though their petals were closed up for the night. They were still captivating, and exactly the way that she knew them.

When Diane stood up from the creaky old lawn chair and called for her to come inside, Nyx was still too happy from having been able to be out there at all. Diane fed Nyx a plethora of vitamin D supplements and other such things before making her sit in front of a solar lamp for a half an hour. Once that was done, Nyx crawled beneath the sheets and Diane kissed her forehead goodnight.

•🌙•🌙•