• tortricidae •

Date/time/country in which you started this?

Tortricidae: A family of moths that has over 10,350 species described, and the sole member of the superfamily is tortrix, although the genus Heliocosma is sometimes placed within this superfamily.
🌙🌙
1

The blue sky shone brightly, sun casting its light onto the outside world. The leaves on the trees were swaying gently in the midsummer wind, and flowers were in full bloom. Bumble bees bounced from flower to flower as ladybugs crawled freely in the grass. It all seemed so warm, so gentle.

But Nyx was in her basement, sitting on the floor and gazing at the television. Everything about what she was seeing seemed so impossible. Warm sun and blue skies. She simple couldn't look away from it all. What would it feel like? Running freely beneath the sun? Nyx vividly imagined what a sunburn would be like. To be able to spend enough time outside to burn seemed like such a blessing.

Jumping up from the rug in the center of the concrete floor, she found herself spinning around. Nyx's black braid had gotten long enough to hang below her bottom, curling around her body as she moved. Stilling her bare feet, she rushed over to the far side of the room. Keeping silent, Nyx stepped up onto the couch and climbed it until she was able to reach the window at the very top of the wall.

Looking around nervously, even though she was alone, Nyx carefully parted the small set of curtains that protected the basement from prying eyes. She peered outside. It was dark, the moon and the stars were muted by filtrations of thick black clouds. Nyx lightly pressed her button nose to the cool glass. Though she couldn't see anything, she still found it to be pretty. However, she imagined that the daytime would be far greater. That it would be beautiful.

Sometimes Nyx liked to pretend that she was Rapunzel, locked away in her tower until a bandit came along. They would start off with the hopes of robbing her, but she would convince them to take her away. Nyx would dance from dawn to dusk once she was free, speaking to someone in person, feeling skin other than her own. The girl had become so secluded, so recluse, that she didn't even know of natural human experiences.

Nyx didn't know of sex, or euphoria. She didn't know how it felt to be wide awake instead of being exhausted. She didn't know what dynamics were normalized in other households, or how other teenagers lived from day to day. Nyx was secluded to her own house, waiting away each day for her mother to return to her, and each night she tried to sleep and suppress the energy she garnered from never leaving the house.

Nyx was Rapunzel, but she didn't mind it. That was her life, that was all she knew. Nyx kept to her home without too much question. She kept to reading her books and watching whatever television that she could get her hands on. As much as she dreamt of the sun, she knew that her life was simply how it was and always would be.

•🌙•🌙•