• pterophoridae •

Pterophoridae: Also called plume moths, it is a family of Lepidoptera with unusually modified wings. Though they belong to the Apoditrysia like the larger moths and butterflies, unlike these they are tiny and were formerly included among the assemblage called, "microlepidoptera."
🌙🌙
7

Nyx stayed in her spot, hidden behind the couch for what felt like an eternity, but turned out to be only an hour. She was balled up on the floor, one hand covering her mouth and the other holding her knees close to her chest. She simply didn't know what else to do than fall completely silent.

However, despite the utter horror of the whole situation, Nyx found herself replaying that girl's voice over and over in her head. It sounded so pleasant, high-pitched and lyrical. She wanted to hear that girl talk for the rest of her life. It was the first voice that Nyx ever heard in person outside of Diane's.

What did the girl mean when she said that she was going to come back? Nyx didn't want her to come back. It was only going to result in a complications. Nyx had spent years doing what Diane told her to.

Diane didn't want Nyx to leave the house. She didn't want people to know about her. She didn't want for Nyx to ask questions. She didn't want their perfect little paradise to be shattered. She would be devastated if she found out that Nyx was spotted.

Finally working up the courage to stand up, Nyx unfolded her limbs and did just that. The room was still dark and the door was still closed. The mail slot was no longer open and no brown eye was staring at her.

She never knew why Diane wanted it that way. For as long as Nyx could remember, she lived a life of seclusion and unknowing. If Diane willed it as such, then that was the way things were. She was the only person that Nyx knew, so she didn't know any better than to do everything that was expected of her. Stay inside all day, don't open the curtains, don't answer the door, don't turn on the lights, and don't make too much noise.

And now she had broken at least one of those rules. She opened the curtains. She was paying the consequences, nervously walking around the house until Diane came home from work. As soon as the lock clicked and Diane opened the door, Nyx ran up to her and wrapped her frail, skinny arms around her mom.

"What's got you into such a mood?" Diane asked, patting her head.

"Nothing." Nyx told her. "I just missed you."

Nyx never told Diane what she heard or that someone knew of her. She carried on the rest of the day like normal and without resistance.

•🌙•🌙•