22

The paper hot cup was set on the dilapidated desk. Jersey didn't bother to acknowledge the hot beverage that sat in front of her. She sat in the hard chair with her arms crossed as she looked around the small room that was known as the interrogation room.

Everything about it brought chills to her. The room was chilly, to the point where Jersey was shaking and sprouting goosebumps as well. The dark walls felt like they were closing on her since the room wasn't very roomy. Only a desk and two chairs could fit inside.

"I brought you coffee." Detective Gaines informed her as he tapped on the desk. Her eyes trailed over to his large hands and fleecy arms. Eventually, she placed her attention on his face.

"I don't want it," Jersey muttered back with such a lifeless tone. She didn't want to be there, not in a police station. It messed with her anxiety.

"How about some water?"

"...Don't want that neither."

"Ms. Coleman," Gaines replied with a sigh. Judging from his voice, his patient was running thin. He was trying to extend his generosity, but she was failing to receive it. Jersey didn't want it, so she managed to give him the cold shoulder. "I'm trying my best to get you comfortable."

Jersey's brows furrowed as she parted her lips to speak. She shivered a little and said, "I-I don't want to be comfortable. I just want to leave."

"Well, you're not leaving until you are fully investigated on the murder of Rodrick Harris." He spoke, taking a seat across from her.

"I don't know anything about his murder," Jersey replied flatly.

She knew that Marcus and Jamar were after her cousin. Jersey also knew that Deshawn was the one who pulled the trigger. Did she know the man? Not at all, but she did remember Malcolm breaking the news to her in his car.

However

Jersey knew not to say anything about Deshawn. Malcolm had taken matters into his own hands.

"You know something..." Gaines jibed while leaning over. "You were the last person who had contact with him."

"And how do you know that?"

Gaines didn't answer the question right on. He didn't have any evidence on Jersey. Rudy's phone was nowhere to be found and there wasn't any proof of contact on Jersey's phone. He was basically running on hearsay, from Lisa.

"Sources..."

Jersey leaned over and said, "Rudy stirred up a lot of trouble in the streets. I could barely keep up with him because he was practically everywhere-from house to house. I had little contact with him, but not enough to know his whereabouts."

"Trouble as in Malcolm?" The detective asked with his eyebrows raised.

The mentioning of Malcolm's name made Jersey's skin crawl. She wasn't expecting for the detective to speak of him. Instead of giving herself away, she shook her head no.

"I'm not aware of the situation he had with Malcolm."

"Humph..." Gaines trailed off as he scribbled something on a notepad. "We found something interesting on your phone. A thread of messages with Malcolm." He continued as his eyes pierced through her. "What's the relationship between you two?"

When she settled into the interrogation room, the detective's partner, Officer Richmond, wasted no time confiscating her cellphone.

Jersey's eyebrows creased as she looked around in confusion, "That has nothing to do with Rudy's murder."