°thirteen°

The national team of Japan had a blast roaming around Jakarta, sightseeing, eating the local food and clicking a.lot.of.pictures. Maiko and Wakatoshi especially had fun, as they saw this as the first international trip they took as a couple (even though they were here for matches)

The day before the opening ceremony there  was a press conference, seperately for the women's and men's teams. The starting lineup for the women's team seated on the panel and the conference began.

"Firstly I would like to welcome the Japan's women's team to Jakarta, Indonesia,"

Everyone clapped and the team bowed.

"Hopefully your stay in Jakarta so far has been good?"

"Yes," Majioka spoke, since she is the team captain, "You have a very beautiful city. The team thoroughly enjoyed themselves,"

Everyone clapped again.

"How are you feeling this year? Last year you made till the semi-finals, losing to Russia, am I correct?"

"Yes, you absolutely are. We have worked twice as hard, keeping our mistakes and weaknesses in mind. This year we also have three high-school graduates who have displayed exceptional abilities throughout their high school years. So we definitely expect to go to the finals, if not win them,"

"I can definitely see the determination in everyone's eyed, Ms. Majioka," another journalist got up, "I was more curious of the New Power Three. As you can see, the three new members of the Japan team have already created quite an impression on the media all over the world,"

Maiko, Nana and Nyoko glanced at each other. They had no idea about this.

What the fuck the three of them thought together.

"We are very much aware that Ms. Watanabe and Ms. Kobayashi were the top 2 wing spikers of Japan and Ms. Adachi was the number 3 setter."

"Yes, ma'am," Nana spoke.

"I am more curious as to how you three made into the Japan team at such a young age?"

"If I had to simplify my words," Maiko spoke, silently thanking her English teacher back in Shiratorizawa, "It would be determination and hardwork. To elaborate on what I said would be, to find a driving force, which is not easy. Once you find it, your will to work hard will come naturally. Now, a driving force doesn't have to be 'cool' so to say. It could just be I want to be healthy or something,"

"Such motivational words from such a young mouth! We are thoroughly impressed!"

The journalists shot their questions and Majioka answered them with confidence.

"You are playing the home team tomorrow, how are you feeling about that?"

"We are well prepared and look forward to play with the Indonesian team. Both the teams get along well."

......

It was the opening ceremony and both of the Japanese teams were dressed in their traditional dress, waiting for the organizers to start the festivities. A roar of mutters started and soon it reached the Japanese.

"Russia is here,"

The women's Russian team walked past them.

"Japan? Looks like they have new kids in the team huh?" On of them spoke in Russian.

"Whatever. We are here to win it doesn't matter who were are up against,"

But boy, were they tall.

"I feel so small," Maiko muttered.

"I feel you," said Shintaku, the libero. She herself stood at 183 cm, "The shortest on the team is 185cm tall,"

Maiko and Nyoko looked at each other, both of them being the shortest on the team.

"It doesn't matter. We'll win this time!"