°seventeen°

We stood in front of the crowd, in a single file as our national anthem played. When I say I was nervous, I WAS FUCKING NERVOUS. It was my first international final and as I looked into the crowd with Japanese flags everywhere. I even saw a good number of banners with my name on it... The pressure was real.

After Russia's national anthem it was time to announce the line-up.

"Japan's Women's team line-up,

Nagisa Majioka, Number 6

Haruhi Ebisu, Number 88

Kurenai Fujioka, Number 2

Nana Watanabe, Number 10

Maiko Kobayashi, Number 5

Nyoko Adachi, Number 94

Fuyumi Shintaku, Number 20, Libero,"

We won the toss and I was serving first. The ball in my hands I took a deep breath.

"LET'S GO KOBAYASHI! LET'S GO!
LET'S GO KOBAYASHI! LET'S GO!"

The refree's whistle blew, my queue to serve. I tossed the ball into the air and aimed it for the left corner.

A service ace.

A no-touch service ace.

It felt good. I felt much better. I yelled in celebrating as the team gathered around me congratulating me. I was passed the ball again and I served again.

Another service ace.

Author's pov

Maiko managed to score six consecutive points for the team. On her seventh service, the Russian libero received it. She passed it to the setter and before the Japanese team could react, the Russians got a point.

After the serve, Shintaku received it and Nyoko tossed it to Fujioka. The middle blockers of Russia blocked her and they got another point.

...

It was the strategic timeout with the score being 16-10, Japan in the lead.

"I can't believe we managed to be so much in the lead," Majioka spoke, "Last year we barely managed to score more than two points than them,"

"Something does seem off," Fujioka seemed to agree with Majioka.

"Let's keep playing like we do," the coach said, "Everyone is doing great,"

They got back on the court and it was Nyoko's turn to serve. She served and it hit the net falling into the other side of the net earning a point for Japan.

"Nice serve, Adachi!"

"LET'S GO ADACHI! LET'S GO!"

The next service was received by one of their middle blockers and the spiker attacked but Majioka, Maiko and Nana blocked it.

...

Japan won the first set. Maiko sipped on her water. Majioka was sitting on the bench, eyebrows furrowed. Her face reminded kf the Spring Prefecturals Final against Aoba Johsai. Something was off. But this time, it felt like Russia was planning something.

"Kobayashi," Majioka called her.

"Russia seems off, right?" Maiko asked.

"Off the fucking the grid," she said. She whispered something in Maiko's ear.

"I don't....quite understand...."

"Its exactly what I said it was. Just do that I'll tell the rest too,"

It was odd. But Maiko didn't have any other option but to trust Majioka. She had the most experience and what she said must work.

But only time could tell.