10| Devil in Her Heart

***

From the rooftop go the GCPD the first signs of sunrise were beginning to breakthrough. It was sights like these that reminded me that Gotham could be as beautiful as it was cruel. Though to a select few the darkness that was built within the structure of Gotham was a thing of beauty.

Removing the old tattered tarp I wrapped my hand around the large lever of the switch. It was odd to be the one to turn on the famous signal that brought hope to the city. Especially when on occasion I had been the reason why the this signal had to shine in the night sky. As I looked at it now it was no surprise that the Batman had become a legend not only to Gotham but the rest of the world.

"It's not a toy." A familiar brooding voice stated and it still amazed me how he could approach someone without making a sound though luckily I had been expecting him and wasn't startled by his sudden appearance.

"Then you shouldn't have made it so fun to use." I countered as I flipped the switch turning the signal off, offering him a slight smile. There was some part of me that resented what he had done. Not only having driven Selina away, but also my year locked deep within the depths of Arkham Asylum. Another part of me wanted to thank him for stopping me before I went too far. Now I only felt foolish for having let myself be manipulated my Lex Luther.

"Why did you stray from the plan?"

"I have my reasons." I replied dismissively enjoying the clear irritation he seemed to have toward me at the moment. "And we both know you knew exactly where I went."

Reaching into my pocket I pulled out the tracker that Dick placed on the recording device holding it up in the air for him to see. He stood motionless, though I didn't expect a response to begin with. I knew their little tricks all too well, they were foolish to believe otherwise. "Question is... why didn't you go after me?"

"I knew you'd be back." He replied simply, just like I knew that even with the tracker they placed they wouldn't follow. After having played this game with him and Dick for so long I knew them almost just as well as they did me.

"You know people's decisions before they know them themselves." I pointed out as I took a step closer to him, there was something about the man under the cowl that still unsettled me even after all these years. He was too devoted to his crusade that he didn't care if he destroyed himself in the process. It was equally frightening and admirable. "It's very irritating. But how Selina put up with you for so many years is a mystery even you can't solve."

My words were a lazy and foolish attempt at discovering if he had any knew information to offer about Selina's whereabouts. Lazy because The Batman wouldn't fall victim to any mind games. Foolish because even is he did have any information Bruce Wayne wasn't a man who gave information to others even if it benefited him.

Only his lack of reaction irritated me because I knew he cared for Selina. How did he not seem as worried for her as I was?

Before another word could be said the door leading to the GCPD rooftop burst open, Commissioner Gordon and Detective Dick Grayson stepping through followed by other detectives and officers. The irritation coming from them was not only seen but felt. Though I couldn't blame them I had given them an extremely long night, one that was only about to get longer.

"You're in big trouble for that stunt you just pulled." Gordon announced as he approached me and I only held me wrist towards him as Detective Montoya stepped forward placing the handcuffs tightly around them. She stepped back to join the rest of the police force but I was only focused on Gordon and his predictable annoyance.

"But I came with a peace offering." I replied lowering my voice as me words were only meant for his ears. Gordon wasn't the kind of man to seek revenge, he would only make sure that Joker got the punishment he deserved by law. But that didn't change the fact that Joker wronged one of his loved ones and this was his justice to carry out.