Chapter 6: Cater To Your Service

Vic woke up the next morning to hear his alarm clock go off. It was now 7:59 AM. Vic started stretching and yawning in his black tanktop and white boxers. He hopped out of bed and headed to the bathroom to wash up. He got dressed, ate breakfast, and grabbed the house phone to punch in Pete's number.

Vic waited as the phone rang from the other line a few times and finally heard the receiver pick up.

"Yeah," Vic heard Pete say over the phone, sounding soporific.

"Morning, Pete," Vic told him.

"Morning, Vic," Pete replied drowsily.

"How's it going out there?" Vic asked softly.

"Not too bad," Pete admitted. "I'll still survive. I just hope you got that job to buy my medicine."

"I got better than that, bro," Vic told him. "I got me two jobs!"

"Really?" Pete asked.

"Yep," Vic answered. "Your big bro is a chef and a security guard at the same time."

"That's cool," Pete told him. "It's great you finally made up for being kicked out of the military."

"I do what I gotta do, bro," Vic replied. "I mess up one thing, I make up for it by searching for a solution."

"This is why you the best, Vic," Pete told him. "You never give up on us. I'm glad you my big bro."

"Anytime, bro," Vic told him. "Just take care of yourself out there, Pete."

"Sure thing," Pete said.

Vic hung up the phone and sighed in relief. He was glad to still be able to earn something to pay for his brother's medical bills. He wouldn't let being kicked out of the army be a hindrance to his goals. He was determined to make sure his family would stay stable and healthy.

Vic hung out inside his apartment for the next four hours and stared at his watch. It was now 11:55 AM. He had five minutes to get to work at the catering truck business. So he headed out the door and darted to his garage to pull out his Ventoso, which he used to ride to Little Havana in search of Mr. Santino's catering truck.

By the time Vic showed up, he was barely on time. Mr. Santino stared down at Vic.

"You're barely on time, amigo," he told Vic.

"I know, man," Vic explained, "but see, I was- "

"No time for small talk, Victor!" Mr. Santino interrupted, guiding Vic inside the catering truck. "We got customers to feed! Now put these on and get busy, amigo!"

He handed Vic an apron, some gloves, and a chef hat, which Vic got into. He was guided to the kitchen and started handling the food as Mr. Santino drove slowly around Little Havana. The truck stopped when a Mexican couple went to the side to order some food and Mr. Santino was taking their order. Vic couldn't make out what the couple was saying through the cooking food on the stove, grills, and deep fryer, but he was prepared what they were going to order.

Mr. Santino turned to Vic. "Alright Victor!" he called. "Mr. and Mrs. Garcia would like two chicken tacos and two stuffed burritos!"

"Two pollo de tacos and two burritos renellos comin' up!" Vic shouted.

He turned to the grill and started preparing the shredded chicken, making sure it cooked thoroughly. He also prepared the beef on the pan on the stove, as Vic wanted to keep the meat separate since he was very cognizant of the perils of cross contamination.

Vic also folded two corn tortillas and tossed them in the deep fryer right before he got the flour tortillas and cocked them on the grill as well.

As soon as the flour tortillas were warmed, Vic took the pan with the browned beef in it and scooped the beef in both of them right before adding in the sauce,, cheese, and cilantro in each of them and folding the tortillas up to make two stuffed burritos.

The corn tortillas were also ready to be taken out of the deep fryer, and Vic added in the chicken, shredded cheese, cilantro, and salsa. He wrapped the two burritos and two tacos each in foil and handed them to Mr. Santino.

"Gracias, Vic," the owner told him as he offered them.

He served the food to the Garcias and hopped back in the driver's side of the truck to drive around the next block of Little Havana.

Soon, there were multiple customers lining up for the remainder of the afternoon for food. Vic made everything from lunch to snack. Aside from the usual tacos and burritos, he also made enchiladas, taco burgers, salad, re-fried beans, rice, quesadillas, nachos, and even churros. At this moment, Vic was really enjoying his job.

He spent the next five hours working when it was finally time to call it a day. Mr. Santino was standing right in front of Vic.

"I'm proud of you, Victor Vance," Mr. Santino told him. "My catering business became a success ever since I hired you. Now I must pay you well, Señor."

Mr. Santino gave Vic $1,500. Vic could hardly believe his eyes. "Whoa!" Vic replied gratefully. "That's a lot for my first day at work."

"You earned it, Señor," Mr. Santino told him. "The customers, they love my cuisine, and it's all thanks to you. Keep on coming here, you will make great money in no time."

"No problem, Señor Santino," Vic said as he stared to leave. "See you tomorrow."

Vic then hopped onto his Ventoso and rode away. His first day on his job, and already he made great money. He was feeling very confident that he would earn the money for his brother's medical bills in a matter of weeks. With his other job at the Escobar International Airport starting in one hour, Vic had to get back home to change into his security uniform.