Chapter 57: Steal the Deal

Vic was surprised he even got any sleep at all the other night. He was still steamed over what Martinez did to Louise that night and really wanted to rip through the corrupt sergeant's flesh in reprisal. Phil was very protective of his sister and would certainly be enraged when he would hear about what happened to her.

Vic woke up at 7:47 AM and sat on the edge of his bed. He was wearing nothing but black boxers and rubbed his eyes clearly. He looked to his right and saw that his pager, which was on the table next to his bed, started beeping. Vic picked it up to read the message. It was from Reni.

"I've told Ricardo Diaz good things about you, pumpkin," the message read. "He wants to meet at his home in Starfish Island... remember darling."

Ricardo Diaz? Vic thought.

He decided to pay whoever this Ricardo Diaz was a visit over at his mansion in Starfish Island. So Vic hopped out of bed to take a glance out the window. It was a nice, sunny day outside. The sun shone above the Ferris wheel at the carnival outside. The cars drove through the roads down below.

Vic would think about going after Martinez later. Right now, he wanted to see this Diaz fellow first and got dressed in his casual clothing. He headed out of the door and got inside his garage to hop into the Sentinel XS. He started the engine, slowly pulled out of the garage, and drove onto the road. The cars were moving steadily and carefully.

Vic then made a left turn on a bridge that led to Starfish Island and drove straight down. As he made it on the other end of the bridge, he made it onto the road and saw a large mansion to his left that was red and pink and surrounded by lavish terrain, well-cut lawns, several pools, and a low wall. There was also a white limousine parked right in front of the garage, and long, high steps leading to the entrance to the building.

Vic drove into the driveway and parked his vehicle adjacent to the limousine. He hopped out of his vehicle and walked up the stairs to the mansion, with a couple of bodyguards standing by.

Vic approached them casually. "I'm Vic Vance," he answered. "I'm here to see Ricardo Diaz."

"Right this way," one of the bodyguards stated pointing to the entrance.

Vic was then guided outside and looked around the interior. It was a nice shade of red with a set of guardrails and a long set of steps just right behind the doorway. There were multiple bodyguards around the mansion. Vic walked up the stairs and through the hallways, turning to his right. He walked into one of the bedrooms with a yellow wall around it. The room also had a couple of leather sofas and chairs, a liquor cabinet, a coffee table, and a painting hanging on the wall.

Inside was also the drug lord himself, Ricardo Diaz, a short, chubby balding man wearing a black-and-yellow Hawaiian shirt over beige khaki pants, counting his money. He also had a long, fat cigar in his right hand and just noticed Vic walking in.

"So, you're Vic," Diaz surmised, speaking in a fluent Colombian accent.

"Yeah," Vic answered. "And you, you're Diaz?"

"No, I'm Santa Claus," Diaz replied caustically. "I heard a lot about you. Mr. Big. Buddies with the Mendezes."

"I don't think we're exactly friends," Vic responded.

"Whatever you say," Diaz told him. "I heard you wasn't exactly a load of laughs, amigo, but crack a fucking smile. Life is amazing. Look at me. I got porn, I got drugs, I got money. I'm happy."

"That's cool," Vic answered. "Well, I want out. I don't wanna sell drugs, but I ain't got a choice right now. I mean it's either that or get crushed like a suicidal masochist."