Chapter 4: The Laugh

Tanya was sitting on the couch, watching some game show when Mao Mao and Badgerclops got back. They were smiling and having about something, completely in a world of their own. Adorabat was in her bunk, fast asleep. Honestly, Tanya didn't pay the two much mind as they walked into the kitchen without a care in the world, but then she heard the laugh.

It was a laugh she had never heard, but she recognized the owner of the laugh. It was a higher pitched male laugh that sounded like a happy, care free teenager who still saw joy and light. Yet somehow, the laugh belonged to Mao Mao.

Tanya turned her now wide eyes to the kitchen entry. She saw a blushing Badgerclops and a now flustered and blushing Mao Mao.

"I...don't think I've ever heard you laugh like that before." Badgerclops muttered, his cheeks a rosy shade of red.

"I-It's b-been awhile!" Since Mao Mao's fur was black, his blush appeared lighter, but Tanya knew him well enough to tell his blush would be a tomato color on white fur.

"So what kind of cobler do you want to make?" Badgerclops asked, trying to change the subject.

"H-how about cherry?" Mao Mao was still plenty flustered.

"Since when do you eat cobler, Mittens?" Tanya's sudden voice made the other two whirl around to face her. They had apparently forgotten she'd be there.

"Awhile actually." Now knowing there was a third party, the sheriff's blush disappeared.

"Could I have a piece then?" Tanya was curious about Mao Mao's baking skills.

"Uh.. sure!" Mao exclaimed after pausing in the kitchen doorway, "Let's get going Badgerclops!" The sheriff grabbed his deputy's hand and guided him into the kitchen. Tanya couldn't help but notice how Mittens seemed awfully eager to be alone with the badger. Tanya turned the volume down on the TV, trying not to seem suspicious as she perked an ear and listened carefully to Mao Mao and Badgerclops in the kitchen.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"I'll get the cherries!" Mao Mao said, failing to hide the excitement as he went over to the refrigerator with a skip in his step. Seeing the usually intense cat acting so cheerful put a smile on Badgerclops's face as he went to grab the ingredients for the cobler crust and filling.

"So," Badgerclops thought quickly of a conversation they could have while they baked, "do you like guys or girls?" The question almost caused Mao Mao to drop the bowl of cherries.

"Why do you ask?" Mao Mao sounded startled as he set the cherry bowl with the rest of their needed ingredients. What was the badger playing at?

"Just curious. You seem like you like both." Badgerclops took notice on how nervous his friend/love interest looked.

"I've...never given it much thought honestly. I've never even dated anyone. It's not like anyone would want to date me anyway." This caused Badgerclops to laugh, making Mao Mao scowl at him.

"You've got to be joking! Do you not see how frickin attractive you are? Not to mention you're smart, strong, loyal, and even if you won't admit it, you're really caring. There's no way there aren't people who want to date you." Mao Mao felt himself blush again as his friend's words touched his heart. After realizing that he had pretty much told his crush he found him attractive, Badgerclops felt heat returning to his cheeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A very long silence fell between the two as Tanya did her best to contain her joy. She'd had suspicions that Badgerclops had a thing for Mittens, and this just proved it for her, now she just needed to find out if Mittens felt the same about Badgerclops.

"Time to play matchmaker!" Tanya thought to herself as the two in the kitchen began talking again,"Wonder if Adorabat might want to help?"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Tanya woke Adorabat up when the cobler was finished, asking if she wanted to help Tanya play matchmaker to Badgerclops and Mao Mao. Of course the blue child said yes.

The cherry cobbler was amazing. Lots of sweet cherries and a crust that wasn't difficult to bite into.

"So Tanya," Mao Mao said after swallowing a mouthful of cobler, "what bounty has brought you to Pure Heart Valley?"

"Actually Mittens, I'm not hear because of a bounty. I'm here because of a special occasion in three days." Adorabat's eyes lit up at the words, "special occasion".

"What special occasion!? Can I help with it!? Is it a party!?" Tanya smirked at the little deputy's enthusiasm.

"Mittens hasn't told you?" Tanya asked curiously, as her gaze shifted from bat to badger. Both shook their heads and stared at the sheriff.

"What's in three days, Mao Mao?" Badgerclops asked, Adorabat's enthusiasm starting to run off on him.

"Uh- well..." Mao Mao nervously looked at Tanya, who merely chuckled at her ex-partner's expression.

"Tell us!" Adorabat demanded, leaning in with wide eyes.

"In three days it's..." The cat's voice got so quiet at the end of his sentence that no one could hear it.

"What's that?" Badgerclops asked, wondering what occasion could have Mao Mao acting so nervous.

"It's my 25th birthday in three days." Mao Mao muttered, just audible enough for them to hear.

"What!?" Adorabat and Badgerclops exclaimed together.

"Surprise." Mao Mao said weakly.