Chapter 14: Engagement Gift

"Mao Mao?" Badgerclops wore a worried expression. Mao Mao hadn't answered him and was now staring at the ring, completely frozen. Mao Mao muttered something that Badgerclops couldn't quite make out.

"What?" A knot was firming in the badger's stomach. Was it a good idea to propose like this?

"Yes!" The sheriff threw his arms around his deputy, planting a kiss on him as the badger slipped the ring around the cat's left ring finger.

Everyone cheered and Adorabat let out a loud whistle. As the soon to be married couple broke away for air, their foreheads rested against each other's and they smiled. Badgerclops kept one arm around his cat and his free paw clasping Mao Mao's. The badger leaned in close and whispered into his lover's ear as softly as he could so only the cat he held could hear him.

"I love you, Kitten." The sheriff smiled and leaned in so he could whisper back.

"Love you too, Clops." Mao Mao rested his head on his fiance's shoulder and let out a delighted purr when Badgerclops wrapped his other arm around his cat.

"Awwww." Mao Mao's sisters and Tanya had all let out awed sighs at Badgerclops cuddling Mao Mao to him.

"How cute, Mao Mao likes being cared around in his fiance's big, strong arms~" Jade was speaking in a voice that was forced a few octaves higher as she teased her little brother.

"Shut up." Mao Mao had cut off his purrs and spoke with a displeased tone as he he pointed at Jade accusingly. Of course, Badgerclops wasn't paying attention to any of that.

Badgerclops had turned and saw Mina's tail flick out of the corner of his eye, and an idea sprouted in his head. It was an idea for an engagement present, all he needed was someone who could do magic, and he already knew a certain someone who could do magic.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Camille!" Badgerclops called as he hugged towards to chameleon he saw exiting Muffins's Bakery.

"Hello, Badgerclops!" Camille smiled, her tongue hanging from her mouth as the badger stopped in front of her, "I heard about your engagement to the sheriff! Congratulations!"

"Thanks! There was something I wanted to ask you." Badgerclops was panting, having been searching for Camille for an hour.

"Of course! What can I do for you?" Camille's hands were folded together as she stared up at the badger with a smile.

"I wanted to know if you had anything that could regrow Mao Mao's tail?" Badgerclops didn't like how Camille's smile suddenly turned into a frown, "I'll pay whatever I have to!" Badgerclops wasn't giving up so soon.

"It's not that Badgerclops. You see, regrowing body parts is possible with magic, but it's difficulty to do. I would also need a bit of the sheriff's fur so I can tune the magic to him." Camille tapped her chin, deep in thought.

"Done! I'll get whatever you need!" Badgerclops now looked like he was going to explode from joy. Getting Mao Mao his tail back would be the ultimate engagement present.

"I just need you to get the fur. Meet me here tomorrow at this time and make sure you have it." Camille was afraid Badgerclops wasn't hearing everything she said through his excited state.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Mao Mao sat in the dojo with his ringed hand on the necklace Badgerclops had given him on his birthday. He hadn't taken it off, not even for a moment. As he gazed down at the rock pendant, he smiled as he remembered how he had met Badgerclops, and how he had been pleased when the badger had wanted to work with him. Now they were engaged.

"Ow!" Mao Mao let go of his necklace and felt the back of his head, where a sudden pain had shot the back of his head.

"You okay?" Badgerclops was suddenly sitting beside him.

"Yeah, I think a bug bit me or something." Out of habit, Mao Mao leaned into his badger and in turn, Badgerclops put his arm around Mao Mao, "Where were you today?" The sheriff hadn't seen his fiance since after he had proposed.

"Looking for an engagement gift." Badgerclops wasn't going to lie, but he wouldn't give away the whole truth.

"You don't have to get me anything." Mao Mao was blushing. He still didn't fully understand that some people enjoy getting gifts for others, especially those they loved.

"I know I don't HAVE to, but I WANT to." Badgerclops kissed the top of Mao Mao's head, getting Mao Mao to let out a pleased purr.

"Well then I have to get you something too. It's only fair." The sheriff was already thinking about his future engagement gift to Badgerclops.

"Alright, it's not like I could stop you if I tried." Badgerclops had gone to petting the top of his cat's head, smiling when it got Mao Mao to purr again.

"Mao Mao!" Adorabat called from the living room, "I can't find my crayons."

"I better go help her look." Mao Mao said as he stood up. He gave Badgerclops a quick kiss before leaving the dojo. As soon as Badgerclops was sure he was gone, he opened a compartment in his robo arm that contained a few strands of black fur. It had been him pulling out the fur that Mao Mao had felt, not a big bite. Now all that was left was to get the fur to Camille in tomorrow.