Chapter 12: Arm Repairs

This chapter was inspired by an idea given to me by Cupcakes1223.

"No, no, no!" Badgerclops voice echoed from the his workshop in the garage. They had been battling another monster, which was like a giant, yellow bunny that spit freezing saliva. Some of the saliva had gotten on the badger's arm and it had set it in the fritz. While Badgerclops had tried to get his arm working again, the monster had charged at at him, but he hadn't noticed, but Mao Mao had. The cat had managed to push his boyfriend out of the way, only to take most of the blow and getting flung across the town square and slammed into a stone wall. The crunching sound that had followed after had been loud enough that Adorabat, Tanya, and Badgerclops had heard it from the other side of the square.

Upon seeing Mao Mao crumple onto the ground and letting out a pained yell before passing out, Badgerclops had let out a scream and managed to get his arm to fire one last shot that got the creature to flee the town.

Now Mao Mao sat upstairs with two breaks I'm his left arm, which was in a cast that had been signed by the entire sheriff's department, the doctor, and a few of the Sweetpies who had also been in the hospital. Even the King had come to sign after hearing about Mao Mao's injuries. The sheriff also had a broken left rib, and two fractured, along with some bruises, scrapes, and a mild concussion. He could still walk, but he had to be careful, things also had to stay quite around him.

None of that stopped him from going down to the garage to see why his boyfriend was shouting. When he arrived, he saw the badger hunched over his worktable, a small wrench clamped in-between his teeth and a screwdriver twisting in the mechanics of his arm. Badgerclops wore a look of frustration and self-loathing.

"Hey, Clops." Mao Mao said, putting on his best smile.

"Mao Mao!" The wrench fell from Badgerclops's mouth, clanging into the worktable, the sound making the cat wince.

"Need any help?" Mao Mao offered, making his way to the worktable. Not wanting his lover to have to stand in his condition, Badgerclops carefully picked the cat up by his waist, so as to not hurt his ribs, and set him down gently in his lap.

"You should be resting." Badgerclops spoke disapprovingly, only for Mao Mao to scoff.

"We both know I've suffered worse, besides maybe I can help you with your arm. I do have smaller hands, so I could get into your arm compartment easier, even if I can't use both." Mao Mao picked up the screwdriver, which Badgerclops had set aside, and gazed into the arm compartment, which held a variety of different, complicating looking mechanisms.

"So, are you going to tell me what to do?" The sheriff glanced over his shoulder and smirked at his deputy, showing that he wasn't leaving. Badgerclops let out a defeated sigh.

"Alright, you see those screws holding the circuit board in?" Mao Mao pointed at the screws with the screwdriver.

"These?"

"Yep. Unscrew those. That monster's saliva completely fried the circuit board. I have to put in a new one." Mao Mao did what he was told, careful not to lose any screws in the mess of mechanics and computer parts that made Badgerclops's robo arm.

"You know, it's not your fault I got hurt." Mao Mao spoke suddenly, his words causing Badgerclops to go rigid.

"You wouldn't have had to push me out of the way if I had been paying attention." Badgerclops sounded upset and close to tears.

"We fight monsters and pirates all the time, I'm going to get injured." The sheriff removed the broken circuit board and set it off to the side.

"What do I do know?" Mao Mao asked, holding the screwdriver like a sword out of habit.

"There's spare circuit boards in that container on the left of the table. Look for one that matches the broken one and screw it in." As the sheriff reached for the container, he winced at a sudden flare if pain in his ribs, causing the badger who's lap he sat in to gently push the cat's hand down and reached for the circuit boards himself, picking out the right one and handing it to Mao Mao.

"So are you done beating yourself up for earlier?" Mao Mao had finished screwing in the circuit board when he asked.

"Mao Mao I can't-"

"It's a yes or no question, Clops." The cat had set the screwdriver down, and sat, waiting patiently for Badgerclops answer.

"No...Mao Mao, I can't stand to see you get hurt like that again." Mao Mao managed to carefully turn himself around in Badgerclops's lap so he faced the badger, looking displeased.

"Badgerclops, in our like of work, we're both going to get hurt. I hardly ever get hurt anyway. You're just gonna have to except that. I don't blame you for what happened, and besides I'm alive aren't I? Just because I got hurt keeping you from getting hurt doesn't mean I'll love you any less!" A small smile started to spread on the badger's face. It was hard not to smile when Mao Mao was sitting in his lap with a broken rib and telling him not to worry about it.

"How about we take a quick break?" Mao Mao smiled to, happy to see Badgerclops smiling and not acting so moody.

"Sure, I got an idea on what to do with the break." Mao Mao leaned forward and pressed his lips to his badger's, who wrapped his free arm around the cat's waist, avoiding his ribs. The sheriff swung his uninjured arm around his deputy's neck, making it so he could deepen their kiss.
They made out for a few minutes, like love sick teenagers under the bleachers, before Mao Mao stopped, making Badgerclops whimper.

"To be continued, but first we have to finish fixing your arm." Mao Mao said, turning himself back to the task at hand.

"Fine." Badgerclops sighed dramatically, before beginning to direct his boyfriend through fixing his arm again. He was smiling now though, glad that Mao Mao had come down to help him.