Chapter 9: The Almost Happy Ending

"What is this, like the third time?" Tanya said with a chuckle as she sat down on the couch next to Badgerclops, who had a sleeping Mao Mao snuggled up in his arms.

"Yeah, but I don't mind." Badgerclops was smiling fondly at the sleeping cat, who purred with each sleepy exhale.

"How was your date last night?" Tanya asked after taking a sip from the coffee mug she held. She also turned the TV on, which coincidentally, played some romantic movie with a couple on a date.

"Pretty good." Badgerclops gave Tanya a smug look as she turned back to the badger with an almost pleading look.

"Oh come on, give me some details!" Tanya scoffed at Badgerclops's next words.

"I don't kiss and tell hun." The badger began to pet the top of Mao Mao's head, looking down in delight when the sheriff snuggled closer to him.

"Did you kiss?" Now Tanya wore a smug expression.

"Wh-what?" Badgerclops's cheeks were completely pink with embarrassment.

"You heard me~" Tanya puckered her lips and made kissy noises to tease the badger.

"Ah-well th-that's none of your business!" Both of them became quiet when they heard a certain cat make little sleeping sounds as his head rubbed against the badger's shoulder. Badgerclops leaned down to kiss the top of Mao Mao's head, except he hadn't been expecting Mao Mao to be awake, and he definitely hadn't been expecting Mao Mao to tilt his head up so Badgerclops's lips met his.

As the badger looked down in surprise, he felt Mao Mao smile against his mouth. Realizing Mao Mao had meant to kiss him, Badgerclops closed his eyes, feeling a little thrilled shock go through him.

"Finally!" Came a little voice from the bedroom doorway. Everyone turned to see Adorabat flapping her way toward them, the biggest and happiest grin on her face.

"A-Adorabat!? You weren't supposed to-" Mao Mao's blubbering was stopped when the blue bat wrapped her arms around her favorite hero.

"I've been waiting for that ever since you guys came to Pure Heart! I can't believe you guys are finally together!" The two sat there as Adorabat ranted on and hugged them both repeatedly, Tanya sitting on the other end of the couch, laughing her head off.

When Adorabat finally settled down and went to make her breakfast (Tanya following behind to make sure she didn't set anything in fire), it left Badgerclops and Mao Mao there, both blushing and staring at each other fondly.

"So..." Badgerclops tried to ask the question burning in both of their heads, but found he couldn't bring himself to ask.

"Yes." Mao Mao answered back almost immediately, moving closer and kissing his badger again. Badgerclops put his hand on the back of the cat's head, deepening the kiss, and once again making the cat's mouth smile against his, causing the badger to smile too.

When they had to break apart for air, Mao Mao rubbed his head gently on Badgerclops's shoulder, purring softly. Badgerclops pulled the cat into his lap, petting in-between his ears, making his purrs louder.

"Well someone's happy!" Badgerclops exclaimed with a snicker.

"Because you make me happy." Mao Mao spoke as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

"Really?" Badgerclops blushed, not expecting such touching words from the usually abrasive cat.

"Mhm." The sheriff spoke in an almost trance like state as he put his palm into Badgerclops's, interlocking their fingers.

"Mao Mao, I love you." Badgerclops was pleased when Mao Mao turned to look at him, his dazzling green eyes boring into his.

"I love you too, Clops." They kissed again, but it was cut short by a ringing noise coming from Mao Mao's desk.