5. Duties

Marinette collapsed on her chaise lounge. The sudden splurge of adrenaline she had when she had to retrieve the silk drained out when she realized she had to travel the same distance back. Thankfully, a quick stop at the store for her mother's tea powder allowed her to buy a cold drink and boost her energy.

She picked up her phone, checking for akuma alerts. All summer the akumas kept a low profile, worrying her. She was afraid that Hawk Moth might've been planning something bigger, but Cat stated otherwise: "If you think about it, he's extremely evil but also an ordinary human being with responsibilities. Maybe it's about time he took care of those." She was still anxious but when you think about it that way, it seemed to make sense. The recent akumas were lazily designed and extremely infrequent. She really was starting to enjoy the silence.

Except Cat Noir's silence. She was starting to miss him: his puns, calling her "Bugaboo", chatting with him. She thought she was crushing on him but she doesn't have those stomach flips when she thinks of Adrien or that light heart flutter she gets around Luka. Cat Noir was simply someone she trusted a lot and besides, she didn't need another boy to mess up her heart. Getting over one was hard enough.

She unlocked her drawer and took out the Miracle Box. She started putting on the Miraculouses and the kwamis appeared one by one, greeting her in their own special way. She felt the sudden surge of all the magical energies around her but also the weight of them. Why would anyone want so much power? she thought to herself, this is more painful than powerful and definitely unsafe.

The kwamis zipped around her room and caught up with Tikki about everything that was going on. This has been an exercise Marinette has been doing ever since she became the guardian. The kwamis offered their knowledge about their respective powers and features. They are very caring creatures and often noticed Marinette getting tired, demanding she takes rest and keep them back in their box.

"Are you sure you don't help with your homework?" Ziggy, the little goat, asked.
"Would you like some help putting your books away?" Wayzz, the wise turtle offered.
"How about a little 'issue' in your computer so your teacher can excuse you?" Xuppu said, twirling his tail.
"It's okay guys, enjoy your time. Besides, these are my duties and responsibilities as a student. You shouldn't be involved," Marinette assured them.
"Being Ladybug isn't your duty as a student," Stompp said.
"No, but it's my duty as a citizen," she said, smiling.

The kwamis smiled back holding down their guilt and made their little circle to start their regular ritual. They started chanting, combining their energies to communicate with Nooroo and Duusu, whose Miraculous got fixed.

Despite their countless efforts, they never got through. All the kwamis were able to confirm that Hawk Moth was much closer that they thought (something Tikki has been holding in forever) and their constant trials helped made sure he is. Tikki had a major urge to just blurt the identity of Hawk Moth to Marinette but could she? She will face some serious kwami punishment for revealing a holder's identity. Their laws were bound by magic, making every word more dangerous than it should be. The chanting stopped and the kwamis, stood in silence.

"I-I think I need a cat nap," Roarr said, faking a yawn when he saw Marinette rubbing her head.
"Yessss, my ssscalesssss feel funny," Sass hissed in agreement.

Marinette chuckled at the snake's joke. She started taking the charms off, feeling their weights disappear. The uncertain fog in her head started clearing up, so much power really can make you drunk. 

"No luck today huh?" Marinette asked Tikki, locking the drawer.
"Like I said Marinette, we can feel their presence but it suddenly disappears like they're trapped," Tikki said.
"We'll get him one day Tikki," Marinette said, stroking the red kwami's head, "We'll get there."

-x-x-x-

Marinette woke up and checked the time: 7:34 AM. Oh well, it's a little later than usual but at least she doesn't have to rush up in half an hour. She brushed, showered and put on her clothes: a light pink v-neck and frayed denims that she had modified. She put her hair in her usual pigtails and went down for breakfast, sketchbook and backpack in her hands.

"Morning sweetie," Tom greeted. He placed a plate of chocolate croissants and milk in front of her. Sabine planted a kiss on her hair and headed down to the bakery. After cleaning up, she started her walk to school and sat in the courtyard. She still had a while till classes started so she drew in sketchbook and greeted her friends one by one as they reached. 

"Hey Marinette!" Max called out. Marinette almost bumped into a bench but perked up and carefully walked around it. There, she thought, I didn't fall this time. And then she stubbed her toe on the stairs. "Ouch, you okay?" Kim asked.

Marinette nodded and headed over to them. "I've modified my game by adding the recent akumas, even though they were extremely disappointing. So can you come over and try it out? I'm fine if you drop in anytime," Max said. Marinette smiled, flattered by the sudden invitation. She didn't have to finish any orders any time soon and depending on the homework she gets, she could make it. She thanked him for the invitation and sat down in her seat next to Alya.

"Did I just see what I think I just saw?" Alya said. Marinette looked up from her sketchbook in confusion. "Girl, you almost fell on Adrien's desk but you didn't and he was looking at you the whole freaking time but you completely ignored him!"

Marinette looked down at Adrien and Nino. Oh, she thought, I didn't know he's here. He looked up and waved at her, a bright smile on his face. Her heart dropped to her stomach as she waved back and looked at him...a moment too long and she looked away. She hoped he wasn't trying to say anything.

"Look girl, I know you're trying to get over him and everything but he could really use a friend you know?" Alya said, "Everyone knows Marinette is a good friend."
"I know Alya," Marinette replied sighing, "I just wish it wasn't so hard."
"Well it's your duty as his friend to make sure he's okay. You know he values you a lot."
Marinette looked at her sketchbook, absentmindedly doodling a leaf. "That's a duty indeed," she said softly.