26. End

"She knows," Cat told Ladybug.
Ladybug looked at Nathalie. She exhaled, knowing that this was for the best.
"It's okay," Ladybug assured him. 

Nathalie looked at the both of them and took a deep breather.
"We don't have much time but you need to listen to me very carefully," she said.
"These Miraculouses aren't any easier to use than your own. The Peacock will identify and latch on to any emotion possible. You need to stay strong and confident. You need to act like you are its master, not the other was around."
Cat nodded and looked at his fists. Nathalie put her hand on his back and said, "Your father was new and immature when it came to using a Miraculous. He jumped at the opportunity and caused extreme damage."
Cat chuckled. "Sounded like me on my first try."
"Your powers are different Adrien. It only requires to call and control. The power of submission requires more intricate planning. These are powers related to emotion which is what influences any decision. The power doesn't necessarily have to go a negative emotion...your father willed it to so. That's why transformation call changed to 'Dark Wings'."
Cat looked down and gulped. Ladybug clasped on tighter to the pin in her hand.
Nathalie nodded and said to Ladybug, "You need to be the most confident of all. You shouldn't be fearful of anything or anyone. Put all your energy and focus into your mission and only then should you do what you have to."

Ladybug nodded and put on the Butterfly Miraculous. "Tikki, Nooroo, unify!"
A splash of purple landed on her, condensing into a light, lengthy purple coat over her. Her top and pants were completely red and there was black detailing on the outfit and the coat. Her mask had red detailing and white butterfly patterns. Along with her yo-yo, she had a butterfly-patterned scepter, unlike Hawk Moth's cane.
"Lady Butterfly, how do you do," Cat teased. Immediately he saw the murky layer of confusion lift off of her. He saw Nathalie relaxing as well.
"We have a mission now, Paon Noir," she said. ["Paon" translates to "peacock" in French, "Paon Noir" translates to "Black Peacock"]
"I like the name," he said, winking.
"Mine could use some work."
"Oh you two are so beautiful together," Nathalie said, hands on her face. "Go now. Help Gabriel," she said blinking away tears. Her hope was only becoming stronger and soon enough the room was only darkened by the ghastly cloud around Gabriel.

"Ready, Paon?" Ladybug (Lady Butterfly, actually) teased.
"Whenever you are, M'Lady," Paon (or Cat) replied.
Paon looked at Gabriel and took a deep breath. "For you, Father," he said under his breath. He looked at the spiritless body of his father and tried to gather up every happy memory of him. He put all his attention towards to what he wanted the most: his father.

He heard a soft gasp from Lady Butterfly as the torrent of blue and black took over the room. The dark cloud over Gabriel was getting consumed by it, making it look murky. An amok was tugging at the end of the strap but he ignored it. Soon the dark cloud completely disappeared over Gabriel and the hurricane of dark hues spun above them.
Paon lifted his staff and diverted his attention to the storm, calling it towards him but instead, there was a loud crash and the winds stopped abruptly.

"NO!" Paon screamed. Lady Butterfly and Nathalie got up from the corner and Paon looked at his father, the dark cloud covering him again.
"Is everyone okay?" he asked.
Lady nodded and helped Nathalie get up. Without any suit of protection, the wind knocked her hard but even Lady Butterfly's protection wasn't enough. A large gash appeared on Nathalie's knee, bleeding out heavily.
"NATHALIE!" Paon screamed.
"Don't worry about me, Adrien. I think I know why it's not working," Nathalie wheezed.
The blood from the gash was soaking up her pants and pooling around her.
"We need a doctor," Lady Butterfly said.
"No! Listen to me first and then send in a nurse," Nathalie opposed.
Paon stared at her in worry but Lady nodded, hoping to get a nurse as soon as she can.
"Take him to Emile," Nathalie said, "You will see the effects of the akuma in her. You'll know what to do when you get there, Paon."
Paon nodded.
"Take Mr. Agreste to the lair and do what you must, I'll get a nurse for Nathalie," Lady said.

Without a moment of hesitation, Paon picked up his Father and headed down to the lair. Paon Noir ran along the ramp and set Gabriel in the grass next to the glass coffin. He opened it and looked at his resting mother. She's not dead, he reminded himself. 
He looked at his parents, trying to imagine what his life would be without them. Will he orphaned? Will he be able to continue his life alone? Will he be able to earn and provide? Will he be able to bear it all?

"Kitty!" Lady called out. She swung her yo-yo and landed next to him. Gabriel was on the ground Emilie was set next him. Lady could barely imagine the pain of looking at the bodies of her parents in such a situation. She took a step towards Paon and wrapped an arm around his waist, putting her head on his shoulder. 
She looked at him, hoping he could muster the same courage he had earlier. One parent was hard enough, she couldn't bear the thought of both.
"Come on baby, they need you," she said softly.
Paon put on a strained smile, "You called me baby," he said.
"I'll continue if we live through this," she said.
"We better," he said, a tear streaming down his face.
She wiped it with her hand and planted a kiss on his forehead. "We will."

She pulled away from Paon and he tried putting his concentration towards his parents. He reminisced the happier times: playing the piano with Mother, running around the garden with Father, coloring and sketching in their respective notebooks, going to fashion shows and premieres together as a family. More tears streamed down his face as he remembered every silly face, goodnight kiss, kitchen mess, dress-up time and homemade dinner. He felt the corners of his mouth tug as he remembered his mother's hair, golden locks that made sunshine look dull, eyes that glinted like peridots under lights, a laugh that made honey seem bitter. Father used to have a big smile when he was young, his hair was the match to his wife's: silvery like the moon. 

The world used to be such a happy place.