9. Changes

1 Year Later...

"Okay place your fingers here and here," Luka said placing Marinette's fingers on the guitar. She sat next to him, guitar in her hands and he guided her other hand towards the strings. She brushed them, making a very unmusical noise and cringed. 
"Guess who can play the guitar now?" she said wiggling her eyebrows. 
"Wouldn't depend on it," Luka said, grabbing the guitar. The second he played it, it felt like the world wants nothing but Luka's music. Hmph.

He maneuvered his fingers, playing an upbeat tune. Adrien joined with a fitting chord.
"I told you, piano is easier," Adrien said, jamming the keys, almost as if he's trying to crush them with his fingers. What's up with him?
"What? With those pedals and stubborn keys? I beg to differ," Kagami said. She dived back into her book, trying to block out the everything around her. She isn't familiar with...modern music.
"Dude, learn how to deejay. Awesome stuff," Nino said, every word in loss of energy. He laid his head back on the couch and rested, pulling off his headphones.
"There's more to music than remixing songs DJ Boy," Alya commented, eyes still on her phone as she furiously typed away.
"Grow up kids. Try something new," Vivica said, picking up her guitar.

Soon, they were all arguing about which instrument was better. Alya and Nino (who was half asleep by then) agreed that woodwinds needed more appreciation. Adrien said he'd give up all his piano knowledge for the electric guitar but Vivica and Luka argued that a classical background is more mature. Marinette and Kagami weren't involved in the arguments and played thumb war instead while munching on cookies.
"You're joking right?" Kagami said, wriggling her thumb out of Marinette's grasp.
"Hey! Not fair!" Marinette whined as Kagami crushed her thumb and reached for the last cookie.
"Loser gets a new plate of cookies," Kagami said. Marinette got up and went over to the table, next to where Adrien was sitting. He was chatting with Nino, who looked like he hasn't slept in a week. Of all the things that have changed, this was one Marinette never wanted.

Ever since the disappearance of Hawk Moth, Alya has been hooked onto one thing- why her favorite superhero disappeared. The akumatizations were becoming more and more rare, and finally, there wasn't a single one. Not one for the eight past months.
Ladybug sightings were reducing as well, her patrols were biweekly now. Even if she was out, it was hard to spot her. She hid too well.

Alya only became more miserable by the second. Her blog lost its followers and sponsors, almost causing it to shut down, if it weren't for the support of the few die hard fans remaining. But what was worse was that Alya was so lost in her world, she lost touch of the real world: detaching from her friends, family and Nino.
At first, Nino was worried, hoping she'll pull herself out this sudden phase. He didn't stop trying, he was by her side the whole time, but Alya was already gone. Her universe depended on Ladybug; his depended on Alya. Soon, they were as distant as Adrien and Marinette once were. It was only a matter of one of them officially announced that their relationship was over.

And so Nino did it. He broke up with her which was even more shocking, despite knowing it was gonna happen. The first month was bitter, both of them unable to heal from each other, but somehow, they found the courage to work on their friendship. Nino tried to promote her blog in every way and she showed up for his gigs. 
Well, that was the only thing going for Nino: he was an actual DJ. He gets to perform every week, often tiring him out and keeping him extra busy. It almost felt normal, except for the aura of sadness and without their cute banters.

"He's not doing too well, huh?" Luka said, handing Marinette two glasses of orange juice, "He should rest." Marinette nodded in agreement. Besides, no one understood Nino better than Luka did.

Luka went down and sat next to Vivica, placing his arm around her. Marinette smiled at the thought of the two of them together.  Luka and Vivica were worlds apart: Vivica was spontaneous and expressive whereas Luka was collected and introverted, but if there's one thing they have in common, it's their love for music. It's also was what brought them together and there were slow changes in both of them: Vivica seemed to have "settled down" and Luka is more open and talks without his musical analogies.
Marinette had to admit, she sometimes did wonder what would have happened if she had taken that next step with Luka but she couldn't be happier for him. He found his clear note, in his own time and hoped it was worth it.

"Here," she said, handing Kagami the orange juice and setting down the plate of cookies.
"Where are my cookies?" Adrien said, landing next to her.
"GAH! OH-Adrien!" Marinette shrieked, "Hold on, they're in my bag."
Marinette went through her little side purse and pulled out a packet of cookies. She almost had a heart attack, not seeing Tikki there but saw Kaakli's glasses and exhaled. She could just teleport if needed.

"Croissants to cookies, when will you leave the poor girl alone?" Kagami asked.
"He's not allowed to have croissants anymore so I bring him the diet specials my dad makes. Today's were these cookies," Marinette said.
"I practically begged her to let me pay but Mr. Dupain is really sweet," Adrien said.

Kagami's phone rang and she moved away to answer it.
"You practically begged to pay? How about when you practically begged me to get these for you?" Marinette asked, giggling.
"What? It's not my fault your dad makes good food!" he replied.

"I have to go now. We leave for Japan tomorrow morning," Kagami said, approaching them.
"Aw, okay," Marinette said. She hugged her goodbye and Kagami got in her red car.
"When is she coming back again?" Adrien whispered.
"In over a month," Marinette said.
"I'm gonna have to see her anyway. They have to say goodbye to Father."
Marinette tried to ignore the sad gleam in his eyes when he said 'Father' and watched the car disappear.

They all settled down: Alya on her phone, Nino half asleep on the couch, Luka and Vivica playing their respective guitars and Marinette and Adrien leaning on the rail, staring at the river.
"Marinette?" he asked.
"Mhmm?"
"I uh-I..." he stammered. He looked down and exhaled, "I have to go with Father today."
Marinette smiled apologetically and looped her arm around his, resting her head on his shoulder. "Do you want me to come?" she offered.
"No, it's fine. Nathalie will be there."

Of all the things that has changed, this was another thing Marinette wished never happened.