11. Friend

Adrien sat down and sighed. This was so much easier with Ladybug...he thought to himself. Marinette snatched the croissant from his plate and kept it back on the counter, teasing him about bloating if he took a bite. She tucked her hair back, the navy blue tresses bouncing lightly behind her. Over time her hair grew, from the middle of her back to near her waist. She doesn't put those cute pigtails now, it's either a ponytail or a messy bun.

"Okay, coming back to this horrific chapter, we have to find the probability of this girl's chances of winning her match...wow, math really has no place for creativity," Marinette said, chewing the end of her pencil. She turned to her sketchbook and continued her doodle. It was a an aesthetic self-portrait, her hair down and blowing in the wind but the face was quite...different from her actual one.

Last year, they would have completed the whole chapter in this time. Now, they chat for hours non-stop and take breaks long enough for Mr. Dupain's cookies to bake. It was amazing how far they've come, but they still have their occasional run-ins...with Adrien stammering away this time.
When his mind should be forming full sentences, the words unraveled into distorted letters and his speech garbled. When he was on the boat with her the day Kagami was due to leave, he took out all his frustration on the keyboard: crushing his fingers on the keys till they were numb. He couldn't bring himself to say it that day: therefore, he used an excuse of being there for his Father. How typical.
It took him a full month to muster some of his Cat Noir courage and have a normal conversation with her. She sometimes laughed at his jokes and even joked back, but it wasn't enough. He looked for hints of flirting but everything was so platonic: she messed his hair, not played with it; she gave him friendly punches, not grab his arm; she smiled sweetly, not flirtatiously. It has been driving him crazy for the past year.

Why? Just the obvious: he liked Marinette. Yes, Marinette Dupain-Cheng: class fashion designer, half-nerd and owner of the most adorable smile. He has liked her ever since she...she understood him, his eyes really opened when she shared her views about modeling. Maybe she did care this much earlier, but he never noticed. He was busy friend-zoning her and going after Ladybug and now he wished he had those three years back to friend-zone Ladybug and go after Marinette. That would've made more sense. 

What else would've made sense was his relationship with Kagami. He wished he saw it earlier: they had a lot in common but they didn't necessarily have to like each other...

Ten months ago...

 "Adrien, look at me now and tell me you like me," Kagami said, cornering him. They were in the locker room after a fencing lesson and he was avoiding her the best he could. He hadn't talked to her in the last two weeks and tried his best to make excuses (well, that wasn't hard).
What was he supposed to say? That he was trying to decide between three girls, her included? That he didn't want to hurt her feelings? This is Kagami: his Father's reputation could change depending on what he's gonna say.

"I-uh...Remember wh-what you said about ch-changing targets?" he said, "Well, I did change my target." He gulped and looked at her cautiously. "It's just...not you," he said, the words barely coming out of his mouth. He looked down, nervous to meet her eye, but she stepped away. 

"You should have informed me earlier. I'm deeply hurt Adrien, but let me remind you once more: you can always change targets," she said. She turned away stiffly and packed her belongings, taking rapid strides to her car. He thought he imagined it but he was sure she wiped her cheek.

Ever since that day, Kagami had been colder and even more formal with him. Just when he thought he broke the ice and had at least attained a friendship with her, it went to waste. It was even harder this time, knowing they had a bitter encounter earlier. She would look him straight in the eye, until he felt small and looked away.
Somehow, it was Marinette that fixed everything. He didn't know the details but one day Marinette came to him and said, "I invited Kagami over today. She's good at chemistry and could help us."

He couldn't reject the invitation just because Kagami made him uncomfortable (also, how could he say no to Marinette?) 
But Kagami came and they did their chemistry homework...and laughed and goofed off and had fun. The most fun Adrien ever had with her up to that  point. Going home that day, he couldn't be more thankful for Kagami, though he didn't realize till much later.

Soon, classes were over and they were on their way to Marinette's house. An hour into studying, Marinette got up, "I'm gonna go down and check on my dad," Marinette said, taking the empty plate. Soon she disappeared and it was only Adrien and Kagami.
How was he supposed to talk to her? All this time they were talking about chemistry and other safe topics like the recent akuma attacks and Marinette's website. 
"You okay, Adrien?" Kagami asked. He looked puzzled, then realized how obvious this nervousness was: foot tapping, neck scratching, avoiding eye contact, the whole enchilada.

"Me? Uh-oh y-yeah, yeah. I'm good," he said, nodding awkwardly. Way to blow it, Agreste.
"I understand that we're not in the best of terms," Kagami said.
"Huh? Oh yeah, I guess we're not..."
"I'd like to apologize for my foolishness and immaturity at that time. I hope we can restart and actually build a friendship," she said,
Adrien blinked. She sounded like she copy pasted that from her brain to her mouth but when does she not sound like that? Was she being serious? Well, of course she is; this is Kagami.
"Of course, I'd love that," Adrien said. What did Marinette say to her?

"Who wants macaroons?" Marinette said, entering the room.
"I'd love some but I have to go," Kagami said, getting up.

Soon she left and it was only Adrien and Marinette. This is my chance...
"So..." Marinette crooned.
"So what?" Adrien asked.
"Didn't you ask Kagami out?" 
Ask Kagami out? "N-No."
"Oh...I thought you two got into a bitter phase...You don't like her?"
How was he supposed to answer this? "I-I don't, actually," he said. But when he said it, he felt  huge wave of relief wash over him. What was that...I'm so confused.
"Oh wow okay, I thought you still had a thing going on. Kagami didn't say anything?"
"No she didn't. Was she supposed to?"
Marinette shrugged and Adrien felt more confused than ever.

Before he could ask her more, an akuma alert appeared on his phone.