22. Mayura

Marinette swirled around on the desk chair until she felt her brain trying to crawl out.
"Wow, you two really are meant for each other," Plagg said.
Adrien was clearly amused but Marinette asked why, through a confused smile.
"He sits and swirls like that while thinking and regrets doing it every time," Plagg explained, cradling a block of cheese.
"What gets him thinking so hard?" Marinette asked.
Adrien's eyes went wide and he pushed Marinette away from the desk and blocked the screen, "Nothing you need to know," he said, giving Plagg a death glare.
"You can move before I cataclysm you along with the computer," Plagg said, uninterested.
"You wouldn't."
"Okay maybe not you kid but your dad won't be too happy about the broken machine."

"Boys, can we fix the problem at hand?" Tikki said. Relief was visible on Adrien's face but Plagg shot Marinette a look, promising her that he hadn't let this go.
"Okay, so do we have? " Adrien asked, sitting down.
"I've been doing some thinking," Marinette said. "Whenever Hawk Moth creates the akuma, it gets de-evilised. The only other way to destroy it is by a cataclysm or Hawk Moth himself destroying it."
"We obviously can't cataclysm it, that would go against the whole point of saving Mr. Agreste. We can't  get Hawk Moth to transform because I don't think he realizes he is trapped in his own akuma."
"Wait, can an akuma stay if he isn't transformed?" Adrien asked.
Marinette nodded, "Remember the Collector?" she asked. Then she sported a puzzled look, "Wait can one one person have two akumas?" 
"Scarlet Moth?" Adrien suggested.
"The number of akumas in a person doesn't matter," Tikki said, "Besides, the akuma in Mr. Agreste right now isn't a proper one. It's a magic that no kwami has knowledge of."

Adrien's eyes lit up. "There is one kwami that knows akumas better than anyone else," he said, a slow smile spreading across his face. 

-x-x-x- 

"I haven't come in here since I was twelve or something," Adrien said, rummaging through the shelves. They were in Gabriel's office, trying to look for anything that could contain a Miraculous. 
"If I were Father, where would I keep something so precious?" Adrien whispered to himself.
"Shouldn't we check the lair?" Marinette asked. Adrien facepalmed, "This is why I leave the thinking to you," he said, smiling. Marinette looked down and placed the books back.

Adrien wished they could go out on a real date. As a real couple for once, maybe even make her his official girlfriend. They liked each other and definitely trusted each other. Marinette studied a book and turned the pages with such gentleness that he doubted the pages were make of glass. 
If Marinette wasn't so determined, Adrien wouldn't even be here, trying to save his father. As much as he wanted love, he couldn't be happier to know that Father will return to his normal self. Not the cold, ignorant Gabriel, but the extroverted, cheerful one. The thought of it made his heart race.
He could tell Father about school, maybe do homework together. They could talk about fashion and how much Adrien had learned over the year. He could even learn to draw!
Adrien looked at Marinette once again, the girl who made all of this possible. That's my girl, he thought.

"What are you doing here?" a voice asked.

-x-x-x-

Adrien and Marinette were in Nathalie's office trying to come up with an excuse. Thankfully she didn't catch them trying to sneak into the lair. She came back in a huff and settled down on her chair, fingers on the bridge of her nose.
Marinette wondered how she could've possibly handled being Mayura. The Miraculous was broken and she had seen her collapse during battle. Suddenly, an idea formed in Marinette's head. She knew where the Miraculous was.

Nathalie looked at the both of them. "Look you two, you shouldn't be sneaking around in these areas of the mansion. I'm sure Mr. Agreste had clearly explained that to you Adrien," Nathalie said.
"I-I just wanted to show Marinette some of Father's old designs. You know how much she loves fashion," Adrien said. Marinette smiled sheepishly since she really was studying Gabriel's old designs. She stopped when she realized this was her chance. 
"Uh yeah, I've noticed that Mr. Agreste is quite fond of, um, Chinese culture. He seemed to have re-designed Ladybug and Cat Noir's costumes with those ancient designs," she said.
Nathalie kept a straight face, hiding any form of tension. "Well, yes Mr. Agreste needs to research and reinvent," she said, matter-of-factly.
"Well, I didn't know Father was a fan of the super duo," Adrien said. Marinette internally smiled: Adrien caught on.
Nathalie seen a little lost. She was supposed to be scolding the two teenagers but instead she was discussing Gabriel's interests. "N-Not really," she said.
"Is there any way I could see more of his work on the superheroes? A little sketch, possibly? It would really inspire me and I would love to give him credit," Marinette pleaded.
"Mr. Agreste is a busy man and wouldn't want to share his de-" 
"Come on, Nathalie, it's just Marinette!" Adrien said, interrupting Nathalie.
She contemplated on the request for a moment and finally exhaled. "I think his latest sketches are in the atrium, not his office. One peek and both of you should be gone."
Marinette fist-pumped mentally, leading the way to the Miraculous.

-x-x-x-

After one more revision of their plan, Marinette stepped out of the mansion and and gates and disappeared into the city. Everything was in Adrien's hands now.

He turned around, facing Nathalie and gave her a grave look.
"What's wrong, Adrien?" she asked.
"How could you do this?" he said.
"Do what? Is everything alright? Here how about this, let's sit down."
"No Nathalie! How could you keep something so dark in this house?" 

Adrien didn't realize how hurt he was until all the attention in is mind had been diverted from Father and getting the Miraculouses. His voice was dripping with emotion, fear clearly displayed on his face. Maybe Father wasn't in his right mind but Nathalie was completely fine and went along with the evil plans. He didn't expect the only mother figure he had to help traumatize a city of millions.
A few moments later, Nathalie face went from worry to shock as she realized what the boy meant.

"Adrie-"
"NO! I don't wanna hear it. Just give it to me and I will turn it in, without them knowing it was you."
"Adrien please, I wanted to tell you but-"
"But WHAT? It's too late for that Nathalie, it's gone way too far. Now, either you give it to me and we'll have no problem or I can make matters worse."
"Adrien, please understand-"
"ENOUGH!" he yelled. He took a step back and said in a low voice, almost a growl, "Listen to me...Mayura."
Nathalie gasped, tears welling in her eyes.
"I could've just turned it in, but I need you to give it to me. I need to know if I can still trust you," Adrien said, blinking back tears.
She choked and took slow steps to the atrium. By the time she came back, her face was red and botchy. She faced him and placed it in his hands.

He took it but it didn't seem like one object. Opening his hands, he gasped and nearly dropped everything.
Nathalie steadied him and clasped his hand, closing it. "Do what you must," she said. 
Adrien looked up at her and nodded. Maybe Nathalie did really trust him or she wanted the best for this city. He didn't know what prompted him but he suddenly wrapped his hands around her, surprising her.
"I forgive you Nathalie," he said, nearly breaking down. "I trust you." 
She relaxed and placed her arms around him and said, "Me too, Adrien."

He pulled back from the hug and stepped out of the house, the butterfly and peacock miraculous clasped tightly in his hands.