23. Destruction

⚠TRIGGER WARNING: Scenes with emotional and mental abuse and suicidal thoughts and actions

🖤

That's it. It's all over, a voice echoed in Cat's head.

"Hawk Moth, you are weak. Don't hurt yourself before we do," Ladybug said, her voice distorted and full of anger.
Hawk Moth's knees buckled and he grabbed his cane for support.
"I-I," he wheezed. "I'm not here to fight."
"Yeah, like we'll believe you," Ladybug said.
He displayed a smug smile. "I'm here to end it all."
Ladybug cocked an eyebrow, clearly unconvinced. Cat's heartbeat was starting to race. Not only was he fighting his father, his words were becoming dangerous by the second.

Hawk Moth looked around, seeming to enjoy the view from the height. He exhaled and looked at the heroes.
"Ladybug, Cat Noir," he said, struggling for his breath, "I have hurt too many people. Not that I wasn't aware but now, I'm struggling in my own mess."
Cat held his breath. His own mess? Does he know about the akuma?
"I'm not a human anymore," Hawk Moth said spreading his arms. "I'm inflicted with my own magic and there is no escape."
He took two steps back.
"No no, what are-"
"This is the only way to end this," Hawk Moth said, interrupting Cat's warning. "Tell Adrien I love him."
Hawk Moth closed his eyes and let himself fall, disappearing in a cloud of purple smoke as he hit the ground.
Cat's screams woke up all of Paris.

-x-x-x-

Ladybug struggled to keep him in her arms as she carried him away from the scene, flinging her yo-yo. They found a dark alley and detransformed. The kwamis watched from a distance before fluttering away to get help.

Shaking from the shock, she bent down and went near Adrien who had his arms wrapped around his knees. His face was ashen and his eyes were blank.
"Adrien," Marinette said, putting a hand on his face. He jerked his head away and gave her a cold stare.
Marinette choked, holding back tears. "I-I'm so sorry," she said, trying to get near him again.
This time he slapped her hand away.

Marinette whimpered.
"He's gone," Adrien said in a hollow voice.
"I know-"
"HE'S GONE!" 
Marinette looked at him, wide-eyed and shocked by the response.
"MY FATHER IS DEAD," Adrien screamed.
"Adrien, please listen to me-"
"THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID!"
Marinette blinked back tears. "I know and-"
"NO! I AM DONE LISTENING TO YOU!"
"Adrien, please-"

Adrien grabbed the back of her head and pulled her to him. Marinette yelped and grit her teeth, struggling in grasp. She was in a whirlwind, afraid of the boy in front of her.
"You," he said, angry tears streaming down his face, "You did this. You made me do this. You killed my father."
"No, no Adri-" He yanked her hair once again and locked both of her hands in his. She stopped struggling and panted, looking at him.
"I was in love with you," he said eyeing her. "I-I listened to you, I gave you my heart, I gave you everything a-and you think you could use that to kill him?"
Marinette's lips quivered and she tried shaking her head. She wanted to scream and deny it all. She never wanted this, any of this, and she especially never wanted a death involved.
"Adrien, I love you, so much. This was never part of the plan-"
"JUST SHUT UP!" he said, "J-Just stop! You-you started all this. You can end it, too." 

Marinette gasped at his words. She collapsed on the ground as he let her go. 
This was not the Adrien she knew, he would never lay a finger on her. He would never become violent, he would never hurt her.
"Adrien, please...you're in shock," she cried weakly.
He ran his hands through his hair and covered his face.
"No no no," he said. He kept repeating it and shaking his head, denying everything. He was talking over her as she tried to calm him down, pushing her away and screaming.
"Adrien..." she was sobbing uncontrollably now. She could barely see anything with the tears in her eyes. Everything around her seemed like an illusion. There was no ground, there was no sky. It was just Adrien's distorted cries.

"I'm sorry Adrien," she said. She didn't know what made her do it but she saw the road and a car and headed right towards it. Her mind wasn't functioning and the she looked at the boy she loved, unconditionally. 
"I'm so sorry," she said. The car was coming and one last word came out of her mouth: "Adrien."
The world went blank.

-x-x-x-

Adrien gasped awake, his face covered in sweat, his body shaking uncontrollably. 
His heart was racing and head was pounding.
He grabbed his phone and checked the time: 4:17 AM. He went to his contacts and called the only person he could think of.

"Adrien are you okay?" Marinette's voice asked in panic.
"Oh my god, you are alive. Okay hi Marinette, please please come over," he said, relief going over him.
"Adrien, is everything okay? What's going on?" she asked.
"It's nothing, j-just a really, really bad dream but please. I need to see you. Please come."
"Okay, I'm on my way."

Every minute that followed felt like a life-sentence, he could swear time slowed down. He was able to stop the shaking and went to open the window but he was suddenly so tired, he collapsed on the couch.
"ADRIEN!" He heard Marinette's voice call him. Immediately his body started to incline towards her presence.
"Spots off," she said, running towards him. He crushed her with his arms and cried into her hair.
"Adrien, please tell me, what's wrong." she said
"I'm so glad you're here," he said, letting go of her.
"M-Me too," she said, sitting on the couch.
"I had the worst of nightmares and I don't wanna explain it right now, I just wanna be here with you," he said.

She sighed and leaned into him, laying her head on his chest. He engulfed her in his arms and rested his head on top of hers.
"You feeling better now?" she asked, rubbing circles on his knees.
"Much better," he said. He breathed in her shampoo and dug his nose into her neck, taking in her scent. She giggled, "What are you doing? You don't seem like someone who had a panic attack a few minutes ago."
"You made all the difference," he said. She smiled at him and he put his lips on hers. The kiss was long, gentle and drawn, all his fears melting at her touch. He pulled away and looked at her big, blue eyes.
"Marinette Dupain-Cheng," he said, "I love you."
Her smile widened and she said the words back, "I love you, Adrien Agreste."
His chest heaved as the words went over him. She loved him. He loved her.

That's all he needed for now.