13. Again

Ladybug found an abandoned corner just in time as the pink flash went over her. Tikki collapsed in her hand and Marinette quickly fished for a cookie in her purse. 
"Do you have any idea of what happened Tikki?" Marinette asked, handing her the cookie.
Tikki swallowed hard, her head drooping a bit, "I am as clueless as you Marinette, I really wish I knew too," the little kwami said. Marinette touched her little face and gestured the kwami to fuel up. 

Soon, she had transformed and was on her way to the Arc to meet Cat. Her heart was racing faster than her legs...there's something up with Cat Noir...He had been so distant since the summer, making her lose hope in their partnership. Something had changed drastically: he wasn't joking, he wasn't flirting, he didn't seem energetic. His aura was different altogether but then he reverted back to himself now, just like that.

Ladybug never had the chance to ask him but would it be right to ask him now? Would he become distant again? Will their relationship change? So many questions flooded her mind and she shook her head, trying to ward them off but almost ended up falling off.
"WAaaaAAhh!" she screamed, nearly falling off the roof.

"Gotcha, Bugaboo. You weren't planning on falling for me, were you?" Cat Noir, holding her by the waist, saving her from falling. She stared in disbelief at her pesky partner, slowly exhaling and turning conscious of Cat Noir holding her.
She jumped and stood up,  retaining her posture and said, "Don't get your hopes too high, Kitty. Accidents can happen."
"Whatever you say, M'Lady," he said, putting his arms on his staff, shepherd-style. He turned back and took slow steps, finally settling in a corner.

Something shifted in Ladybug. She was feeling bittersweet: Cat was calling her those names again, but didn't argue when she said she won't fall for him. 
Wait, did she want him to argue? Did she want him to flirt with her and say that she'll fall for him one day? That means she likes him, right? No way, she's still getting over Adrien, she doesn't have time for Cat's games. And plus, they were partners, they don't have time for romance. Why am I even considering this? 

She shook her head as to clear her thoughts and went and sat down next to Cat.
"Alright Kitty, you have a lot to tell me," she said. Over the next fifteen minutes, Cat recited the whole story about the Babysitter but instead of listening, her ears perked up every time he said  'Babybug', 'cute', 'adorable' and 'smart'. She noticed the way his eyebrows moved with every expression, the way his smile spread all the across his face and the way he rubs the back of his neck when he's nervous. She saw a light pink sprinkle on his cheek when he mentioned the small kiss and her cheeks were reciprocating the same. How had she not noticed all this before?

"And yeah, that's how we saved the world this time. Probably the cutest akuma ever, since Gigantitan, right?" he said looking at her.
"You saved Paris this time. I was hit and you managed all by yourself. I'm p-proud of you," she said, the words feeling a little foreign in her mouth. Proud?
"Anything for you, M'Lady," he said.
"Cat, you saved the entire city of Paris today- how amazing is that?"
"Amazing but stressful. Plus, I can't take all the credit. I honestly don't know how you do it every time. Mister Bug was a fun day, but that one hit was enough for me. This time, I had a little cutie helping me," he said staring at the silver-dotted horizon. It was a rare, cloudless Parisian night: the stars were visible, making the lights seem brighter. The question of their friendship and his disappearance flooded her mind and Ladybug tried to push away the blanket of anxiety around her, hoping that her doubts will be cleared, not hit their partnership.
"W-Why did you stop calling those names for a while?" Ladybug asked.

Cat shrugged, eyes still on the horizon. "Hmmm well, I liked another girl for that period of time. Or at least I thought I did and it didn't last long. Anyway, calling you those names...it just felt- it felt wrong. Like, I thought it'd be wrong to call you that with another girl in my mind but then I realized," he said, green eyes piercing into her, "No matter who I love, you'll always be my best friend. M'Lady is your name and so is Bugaboo, no one can replace that. Actually no one can replace you for that matter."
Her eyes fluttered and she felt her chest closing as she repeated the words in her head: Best friend. After everything that came out of his mouth, this was the only thing she could think of.
"Best friend?" she asked.
"Always," he said with gentleness that made her want to cry. He gave her a reassuring smile and played with his staff, seeming to distract himself.
She smiled at him and they both stared off into the night, just two best friends enjoying an evening together.

She thought about the akuma once again. He had called her Bugaboo and just like that, she lost track of time and space. Her surroundings were blurred and the only thing she could think of was Cat Noir speeding towards the akuma and then poof! She was on the ground trying to remember what happened. 
"Well, Kitty, as awesome as our defeat was, we still have to battle school tomorrow," she said.
"Alright, M'Lady, I'm gonna hang here for a bit. I'll see you next time," he said, shoulders slumped and wacky smirk on his face.

Ladybug smiled and flung her yo-yo. As she made her way back home, the word "best friend" kept replaying in her head. She reached the balcony and de-transformed, settling down on a chair. 
Knowing Marinette was lacking energy, the little kwami zoomed to her. "What's wrong, Marinette?" Tikki asked.
Marinette sighed and looked up at the star-exploded sky. She knew there was no point in denying it anymore, it's too late. "Why is it that any boy I like some how friend-zones me?"
Tikki gasped at the realization. "You mean-?"
Marinette nodded. She buried her head in her hand and sniffled. "Why me? Why now? Just when I thought I was over Adrien..." She broke into a sob and curled up in her chair. It was just a crush but she felt like the world was falling apart. She had worked too hard to get over Adrien and might've even struck a friendship with him, but her lonely heart ruined it all.

Tikki quickly flew to her and sat on her shoulder. "Oh Marinette, I'm so sorry..." Tikki said.
Marinette shook her head and looked up, "No, Tikki. I'm not gonna let it consume me. I have a duty for the city, I just got over Adrien and my website is doing well. I'm not gonna let some tiny crush ruin everything I worked for," she said, confidence eluding her. "Besides, I won't see him so often since Hawk Moth is so irregular. It'll all be over soon..."

And it all was over. Hawk Moth hadn't released an akuma ever since.