Chapter 16

No one knew what to say to me.

No one knew what to say to make me feel better, and for once Kelly didn't have some sisterly advice to extend my way. All my family could do was ask questions and attempt to comfort me.

Their effort just made me realize they didn't know how to deal with situations this serious. We, as a family, never talked much about the dark shit that could ever occur.  We were just told to stay out of trouble and do the right thing.

No one ever warned you that growing pains were actually painful.

And the next day, everyone was back to their regular routines.

At the end of the day, they didn't know Andre, like I knew Andre. And they weren't traumatized by the event happening in their faces. So I didn't blame them for not getting it. I just spent my days at the hospital with the girls and making sure Rocky always knew we were there for her.

His injuries weren't life-threatening, which I was more than grateful for, but his chances of walking again were slim. Hearing that he was now going to be restricted to a wheelchair broke my heart.

He was finally on the right path. He started going to school regularly and got good grades, had a steady job, and an amazing girlfriend. And just because a man knew how to hold grudges and wanted to come and start problems with Raquel's Mom, Andre got caught in the middle trying to stick up for his family.

But the most gracious part of it all was that Andre wasn't mad. Even though the circumstances weren't great, he said he would still do the same thing, stick up for his loved ones, and if that ended up getting him shot, that's what it had to be. And I never looked at him the same again.

You didn't meet truly selfless people everyday.

Maybe that's what drew me to constantly go see him.

"Boom! Run me my money trick." Will exclaimed as she slapped her cards on the meal table they had in the room.

Kaylen's face instantly dropped realizing she lost, digging in her pocket, she begrudgingly handing over a five dollar bill.

"Are y'all seriously gambling in my hospital room?" Andre asked from his position in bed, stopping his flicking through the channel just to look at them.

"It's just five bucks," Will replied. "You want it?" She extended the bill his way, making him smile.

"Put the cards away before they kick y'all out."

"Alright, alright." Will just tucked the bill in her pocket as Kaylen cleared the cards.    

"I'm gonna go get something from the vending machine," Rocky stated, getting up from her seat at his bedside. "Y'all want anything?"

"I'm coming with you." Nicki responded while the rest of us declined, the two of them exiting the room.

"You know y'all don't gotta be here every day right?" Dre told us.

"If Rock's gonna be here all the time so are we," I said. "Why? You getting tired of us already?"

"Y'all know it ain't good for her to here every day."

"It's been two weeks. You think we ain't try and tell the girl to do something else?" Will brought up. "She wants to be here, and I'm not about to look like a bitch if I refuse to come."

"You're her best friends. You know her better than I do. Do something." Dre insisted. "I'm perfectly fine. She's here more than my girl."

"You don't think it's best if you talk to her?" Kaylen questioned. "Hearing it from you might be better."