Chapter 22

So I did what he asked.

The next day, I talked to Calvin and casually expressed my concern for the beef mentality he had about Jaden, and he promised to let it go after a little heart to heart. I left out that part about Nico's goon almost giving me a concussion, seeing it wasn't gonna help the situation.

As long as he did what I asked, we were good.

I had the situation under control. I was old enough to handle this kinda thing. In these situations, it was best to let fewer people know so it would go away without a hitch, and I was keeping my mouth all the way shut.

I wanted to be smart about it.

So, when holiday break came around and I made one of my usual trips to the corner store and saw Nico casually hanging around, I kept it calm, cool, and collected. Even glancing his way as I crossed the street.

Never show the enemy fear.

And I guess that was an open invitation to come over and be friendly 'cause it wasn't long until he came my way with a sly smile.

"What do you want?" I demanded as I walked down the street, keeping my distance as he insisted on walking at my side.

He smelled like cigarettes and a way too overpowering cologne. I was surprised I wasn't coughing up a lung.

"Nothing. I can't walk with you?"

"I told them to back off, nothing's about to happen." I insisted, just getting straight to the point. "You and your boys ain't 'bout to do anything, right?"

"Nah." He shook his head. "We civilized, baby girl."

I rolled my eyes. As if.

"What was that?"

"Nothing." I quickly responded.

"I'll see you around." He looked me over once more, and I just crossed my arms, looking at him cautiously as he crossed the street, walking in the other direction.

I let out a relieved breath, my eyes scanning the area. I spotted Andre, who looked like he was getting some exercise in, walking down the street. And by the way our eyes locked, he let me know he saw what just happened.

I quickly looked away, continuing to walk to my house, acting as if I hadn't seen him.

It was for the best. I didn't need anybody all up in my business.

I had it all under control.

🖤

"I thought you said you had it under control!" Nicki yelled with a laugh.

"I did! All you said I had to do was watch it!" I yelled back.

"And take it out when it was done." She pushed my shoulder lightly, and I just frowned as I saw the slightly burned cookies on the tray in front of me.

"Shit, we still eating it." Will spoke, grabbing a cookie only to instantly drop it seeing it was still hot, making us all laugh.

It was a tradition that the five of us got together at someone's place during the break to have a small get together to celebrate the holidays. We did simple things, like watch a movie or bake cookies together. We didn't have the funds to get each one of us birthday and Christmas gifts, so it was the best we could do. And we made the most of it. Though we were used to seeing each other constantly, it was something about coming together to celebrate the holidays that reminded us how much we valued our friendship.

We weren't the sentimental type or the type to constantly gushing about how much we cared for each other. It was rare for us to have serious talks, or get deep into our feelings, but we knew if we needed it, we would all be there to talk and listen with no hesitation. We knew what it was and didn't need all that reassurance. Our holiday gathering was a day where we could express our appreciation or love for each other, more than we would on any other day.