Chapter 48

The first thing that I noticed that alarmed me was that he was alone.

He had none of his niggas with him, having me assume he was too enraged and sped off without them, or he didn't want to feel the pressure of other people knowing his next victims. The latter made the most sense to me. And with the way he gripped the steering wheel and fiercely focused on the road in front of him. I was mentally losing my shit.

Kaylen and I would talk, and he would ignore us, his silence heightening our fears. He only addressed us once we finally reached our destination. I tried to remember every twist and turn we made, but the anxiety was taking over, and my mind was going blank.

All I knew was I stood in an old abandoned building, arguing back and forth with a man who didn't have any reason within him. And I just hoped I could save Kaylen and I the way I did back when it was the whole Calvin issue.

But unfortunately, all my attempts were failing. The bad and tough Janae was not enough to faze him like it used to.

"This is how you want it to go down?" I asked, trying my best to stand in front of him with confidence.

"I'm not going back to jail!" He shouted, pulling out his gun, making me flinch.

I held my hands out slowly. "Nico."

"You always the common denominator in this shit. You always tryna be somebody's hero while I'm just tryna handle business." He waved his gun between me and Kay. "This wasn't even about you!"

"Whatever goes down with the people that I love is my business, you know that by now." I fought back. "I told you stop fucking with my life Nico."

"Well now both of y'all are tryna fuck with mine." He spoke. "So who's going first?" His gun didn't falter from my body.

"Nico." I whispered, feeling my body go into panic mode. "You don't have to do this."

"You've been a problem since day one Janae." He walked closer to me. "And at first I thought it was cute. But it's getting too messy for me."

"You do this and you know- you know it's all gonna come back to you." My heart started to beat out of my chest as tears surfaced in my eyes. "You're gonna be the first name on the list and it's gonna be over for you."

"It's over for me right now!" He barked back, making my body once again jump in fear.

"Why does it have to be over for me?" I pleaded, blinking some tears out of my eyes.

"Cause I bet the reason why the cops are up my ass is 'cause of you and I'm not about to let that slide."

He was different. Nico had been pushed past his limits and was now ruthless. He wasn't the sly and cunning man that poked at me for fun, he was serious, and had a look in his eyes that made him appear less human. As he held his gun, I had no doubt in my mind he would press the trigger with no afterthought or remorse. Kaylen and I did not stand in front of him as innocent teenage girls, we were bugs he wanted to crush in one fatal move. Our lives didn't matter to him, any excuse we gave didn't matter.

He wanted us gone.

And he wanted to do it himself just to make sure it was definite.

He inched closer to me to where I could almost feel the gun's contact with my skin. I tried to calm my breathing, bracing myself for the pain I was going to feel, if I were to feel anything at all.

"NO!" Kaylen's voice yelled, tackling him from the side, making the gun go off, a bullet piercing one of the already fractured walls, and slip from his grip as both of them toppled to the ground, and I was stunned.