Chapter 5: Father Knows Best

Madison watched John leave with Lin taking a shaky breath but couldn't help but smile. All Madison knew was John was always supposed to stay in the tower because of his powers but he wondered if that was fully the reason. Once John's hair was out of site Madison went to Jefferson's bedroom digging around for anything that could reveal anything about John's past.

After a while, Madison looked under the bed finding a book tucked on top of the beam near the foot of the bed. He slipped it out opening it and gaped in surprise. In the book were slips of paper, all of them about the missing prince, images of what looked like a small version of John with the very crown Lin had in his bag. It confirmed everything Madison thought, all the time Jefferson would let him out of the tower hearing the rumors, the stories.

"Curiosity is a deadly trait me dear Madison, I assume you heard about what happens to the curious cat yes?"

Madison jumped looking up at a rather unhappy looking Jefferson leaning in the doorway "where is he James" he said in a voice that made all the hairs on the back of Madison's neck and arms stand up in fear.

"He...He um..." Madison took a slightly shaky breath before standing up puffing his chest out hoping to appear braver than he felt "He's gone, he's going to where he needs to be, you can't keep him hidden up here Jefferson this is wrong! At least this way no one gets thrown in prison or anything like that, we can escape together and just...just get a nice house somewhere else, we could even go to France, just like you always wanted and it can just be the two of us"

Jefferson let out a cold laugh as he started stalking towards Madison, a dangerous look in his eyes "I didn't take you as someone to be a complete idiot James, John's powers are the only thing keeping me young and alive, without him I'll grow old and withered. Want to know the truth? Fine, the tales are true, the sun drop, the flower, it's been on this earth for years. I'm probably close to 300 years old and I owe it all to that flower. Then the damn Queen ruined everything taking the flower's powers from to me, and when I realized John had the powers yes, I took him and went through the hell of raising him."

Madison kept backing out walking back into the living room "This is insane Thomas! You can't keep John under your thumb forever, he's already questioning what's out there, it would have happened eventually. John is not as weak and stupid as you try so hard to convince him-!!" He stopped realizing he was against the windowsill with Jefferson closing in more "Look I...I know they'll be back"

"They??"

"Y-y-yeah s-someone climbed up here and John made a deal with him to have him take him to town and back in exchange for having his things returned."

Jefferson let out another laugh grinning almost madly "The town over?! The Kingdom?! The very place that is looking for John?? And here I thought you actually loved me, James, I thought you were on my side. But I see that was all a lie, so now, I am going to have to fix this mess. Starting with you"

Suddenly Jefferson took his cane and whacked Madison hard causing him to topple back falling to the ground.

Thomas took a few breaths running a hand through his hair as he thought for a moment before his eyes spotted the bag. He grabbed the bag and made his way down the stairs down the inside of the tower and headed towards the kingdom.