Chapter 8: The Eyes of Our Hurricanes

Later that night, they were sitting around a fire in uncomfortable silence. Alex had been quiet since they climbed out of the water, wanting to get some distance away from the mine and gathered food and firewood quietly trying to mentally figure it out. John gave him that time, waiting for him to inevitably ask.

After they ate Alex cleared his throat "So...um...you said it does more than glow?"

John turned to him, remembering the cut on his hand, and gently wrapped his hair around his hand "yes...it's been magical for as long as I can remember, I think I was born with it...so...when I sing it glows but it also...well...it might be best if I show you."

He stepped back and softly started singing, his voice calm and soothing as his hair started glowing. The light wrapped around his hand and Alex watched in amazement until the song ended and the hair stopped glowing. He unwrapped his hand and gaped in shock holding up his fully healed hand. Not even a remnant of the cut remained, Alex looked over at John in shock "y-you can heal people with your magic hair?! You can hair magic heal people. That is absolutely normal, and definitely not something that should make me question reality and the magical qualities a person may or may not poses. And if this has been happening since you were born one could only imagine how humanity could benefit from it-"

"Please stop" John interrupted standing up uncomfortably "that mindset is exactly why I live in a tower..." he looked off "when I was a baby they found out about my power and some thieves tried to take it for themselves by cutting my hair." He moved his hair to reveal a brown curly lock that was hidden amongst the blond strands. "When they cut it, it turned brown and lost its magic. So my dad took me and hid me away in the tower to keep me safe."

Alex thought for a moment then looked at him confused "So...your dad locked you away to protect you...but is he using your powers? What if he's only keeping you locked away to keep the magic to himself?" John froze looking off thinking while Alex continued.

"Think about it, you guys could open a business healing people...I came from an island that got destroyed by a storm and I would have wished someone with your abilities would have been there to save all those people..." Alex looked off as he remembered.

John slipped out of his thoughts and looked at him "Alex...I...I'm sorry...if I could have been there I...I would have helped...do you want to talk about it?"

Alex shrugged softly "What's there to talk about...besides, I don't want to bore you with the story of a bastard, orphan, son of a whore, and a Scotsman dropped in the middle of a forgotten spot in the Caribbean..." John scooted closer giving Alex his undivided attention and a soft reassuring smile.

Alex smiled softly and looked off trying to figure out where to start "Well, my dad left when I was young, which I mean...it's not...not that it was that big of a deal he just...abandonded me and my mom when we really could have used him. A storm came in and there was just...destruction and death everywhere...food rations passed around by a bowl we all shared and people just...we got so sick...it got to the point where death felt like a better option than living. My mom and I got really sick...she didn't make it but...I just...couldn't seem to die. So...I started writing, I managed to write my way off the island to a one-way ticket to New York Kingdom, which is the nearest kingdom and our destination. But because I was young I just ended up on the streets so...you had to do what you could, steal to survive...I once snuck into a play by Lin Manuel Miranda, a famous storyteller. He told stories of love, and lost, and triumphant victories...so I used his name hoping for the same but...by then, all they saw was a thief...some legacy I'm leaving" He felt John's hand rest on top of his and he looked up to see the other man.

"You know...I like Alexander Hamilton a lot more than Lin Miranda...and I think...your legacy has only just begun, you don't have to feel like you're running out of time, you can...start a new life and...maybe fall in love...have kids" John smiled softly looking off "If anything...you can live the life I can only dream about...I'm safe in my tower...love is just...another fairy tale that doesn't come true for things like me."

Alex abruptly stood up looking at John sternly "Don't you ever say that John, you are not a thing, and you are so much more than your powers. You're...you're brave and kind, and...John, there are not even enough words in the human language to describe how incredible you are."

John blushed looking at Alex feeling like his heart was trying to escape his chest. No one, not even his Jefferson or Madison ever told him. He didn't know what to say and looked down trying to find the words. Alex leaned close and tilted John's head back up and brushed a strand of hair tucking it back behind his ears looking into his eyes with such kindness and admiration.

"John...though all of my life has been a lie, to only you I can tell the truth...you deserve as many Happily Ever Afters if not more than I and...everyone in this world combined."

John looked into his eyes and melted softly under his touch, the hand under his chin soft and the way his thumb brushed against the side of his cheek made his heart flutter. He smiled softly keeping their eyes locked for a moment before John glanced back at the fire "the um...the fire is getting low...we should um...get more firewood before we settle in..." John pulled away from Alex's touch and Alex receded back nodding softly "Right um...I'll be back"

He got up walking a few paces off before turning back to John "You know...if I was really Lin Miranda, I would definitely make a story about you."

John smiled softly which Alex shared back before walking off. John watched him go, smiling fondly.

"And here I thought he'd never leave." Jefferson's voice rang out from the dark forest behind him.

John's blood ran cold as he got up quickly turning around facing him "D-dad?!"