30 | colors of death

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

"there's no greater agony than bearing
an untold story inside you. "

— Maya Angelou —

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

[ 3RD PERSONS VIEW]

The beautiful starry night gleaming above the two as they separated ways from Jeno and Donghyuck. It seems as they have finally made up with each other and Renjun was glad they did.

Haruka remained silent, head lowered as she only stared at the pavement they walked on, finding it more interesting than the twinkling night.

Renjun hummed to a simple melody of a song, hoping to gain her attention, and he did. Haruka glanced at him, surprised to hear him hum a familiar song.

"You sing?" she tilts her head as Renjun stopped humming. He nodded, a small smile etched on his lips, "A little bit."

"Maybe you can sing for me whenever I play the piano sometimes," she suggested and looked back onto the sidewalk.

"That would be nice," he said before clearing his throat, "Can I ask you something, Haruka?"

"Go ahead."

Renjun took a deep breath, "How do you exactly plan to find the copycat?"

"That'll be easy, actually," she giggled, "I can see them if I want to."

Bewildered, Renjun shot her a look, "What do you mean by that?"

Haruka halted, facing the boy as she pointed at her patched eye, "I told you, I can see them."

He gasped, "You mean–"

Haruka nodded her head, lips pressed into a thin line as she stared at Renjun. "I can see the colors of death."

— • • • —

Haruka was relieved that she went home first rather than her mother. She sat in her room, still remembering what happened back on their way home, how surprised Renjun was.

However, that was actually the last of their conversation for today. Renjun didn't say anything, he was silent, completely shocked by the information he had just received.

Until now, the blonde-haired boy laid in his bed, the thought of Haruka being able to see death was freaky. He couldn't even bear finding out someone close to him had died, what more for Haruka?

She probably had known about people's deaths and all she could do was stay silent, as if it was unknown to her, why? She didn't know when and how.

"Maybe that's why they were separated... and their parents didn't want her to get attached to anyone at all– because of her eye..." Renjun figured, concern washing all over his face.

He could tell how hard it was for Haruka. To live with that eye, an eye who showed you that people would die soon, it was a scary gift. Renjun felt absolutely bad that he couldn't speak up earlier, Haruka's words were ringing in his head nonstop.

"I see the colors of death."

"It pains me, to know that people are going to die and I can't do anything about it. I know they were going to die, but I can't stop it."

Renjun tossed and turned in his bed, his light gray bed sheets getting crumpled as he did so. Now that he knew the truth about her patched eye, it just made him want to help her more.

Meanwhile, the said girl still had her shoulders slumped forward. Teeth gnawing on her bottom lips as she suppressed the urge to burst a cry.

"People are going to die again and I'm here– useless." she murmured as she now sat huddled in front of her full-length mirror.

She could remember herself arguing with her mother back then. Choi Hyosun forbids her from interacting with others, knowing how dangerous her eye could be once she started seeing colors.

"You can't just warn them about their death, Haruka! You're not a hero. You can't keep protecting people!"

"But I want to protect them! I have to. They're my friends." the young Haruka retorted, stubbornly against her mother's orders.

"You can't have friends. You'll only end up scaring them away."

Her dark hair covering her face as tears began to trickle down her cheeks, sobs were muffled, fingernails digging onto her palms.

Slowly, Haruka lifted her head up, staring at both of her eyes in agony. "I really, really, really hate you."

Her right hand covering her right eye as all she saw with her left was nothing but a grey world. The monochromatic scenery felt so lonely and dark. A grim world to be in with the only color being there was the color of death.

Haruka closes both of her eyes tightly shut, taking deep breaths to calm her down.

"Haruka!" the girl flinches, hearing someone so familiar call her name. She couldn't really pinpoint who it was, but it sounded similar to the person she met in her dream or was it a dream?

Haruka finds herself back at the nearby park. Again, she faces the sundown. "That's your name, right? Haruka?"

"Yes, it is." she nods, turning to look but all she could see was a blurred face.

"Your eye is really pretty."

"Is it?" Haruka mumbles, unconsciously reaching up to cover her different colored eye.

"You don't have to cover it. It's beautiful."

Haruka diverted her gaze from the person and back onto the setting sun, "I have to cover it, or else, I'll only be haunted by people's deaths."

"But you don't have to cover it always, you have been gifted that eye for a purpose, maybe you just haven't found it." the person chuckled and took the empty seat beside Haruka. "Let's meet again?"

Haruka shakes her head, mouth hanging open as she stared into her mirror. Blinking a couple of times, she scanned the room, making sure her brain wasn't tricking her again.

An uneasy feeling resurfaced in her, gulping down harshly, "H-Have I been here before?"

— • • • —

any thoughts so far? 👀