39 | you are not alone

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

"darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that. "

— Martin Luther King Jr. —

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

[ 3RD PERSONS VIEW]

Renjun woke up to the sound of a sorrow melody playing from across his room, instantly he thought of Haruka. He was starting to get used to hearing the piano almost every day at any hour – it just randomly happened and he was quite fond of it.

Hearing Haruka playing the piano was like listening to her telling a story about herself and her emotions. Stretching his arms out, he hopped off his bed, getting ready for today, humming along with the tunes.

Afterward, he exits the bathroom all dressed up in just a dark green hoodie and some sweats. A towel was draped on top of his damp hair, his hand slowly ruffling it to dry his hair.

He leans over his windowsill, looking over at Haruka's bedroom, still did she play that same sorrowful piece that was now piercing his heart. "Is she sad or something?" he murmured before pushing himself up, climbing towards Haruka's bedroom.

He jumps off, slowly approaching her as she continued to play. Noticing the presence behind her, all she could tell that it was Renjun. "What are you doing here?" she questions, glancing up at him as her fingers pressed down precisely despite her not looking.

"You're not wearing your eyepatch," he notices, seeing the usual eyepatch on her desk.

Haruka looked away, cheeks tinting red as she suddenly grew conscious of her different colored eye. Renjun reaches out to tousle her hair, a little laugh coming from him, "It's beautiful, Haruka."

"I'm still not used to it..." she murmured before ending the song.

"Are you sad?"

Haruka flinched, peering up at the boy in shock, "Huh?"

"Your music," he gestured towards the piano, "It sounded... grief-stricken."

By now, all the fear Renjun always had when he talked to her was gone. He felt comfortable and relaxed. Renjun was happy that he got to know her better, rather than assuming that she was the enemy around here, not knowing she had a deeper story.

Haruka scooted a bit to the side, patting down the empty space beside her, "I'm just... I don't know– confused? If I had been here before... why? Why was I here..."

"Maybe–"

A muffled, yet still audible, telephone ring sounded throughout the whole house. Haruka snapped her head towards the door before sighing heavily, "I'll go get that." she walks out with Renjun deciding to follow her.

Haruka hurried down the flight of stairs, reaching out to answer the ringing phone, the device pressed onto her ear, "Hello?"

"He- Hello? Ha....Haruka...Can- Can...You...Hear- Me?" the said girl furrowed her brows, eyeing the telephone for the faulty connection. Only hearing patchy sounds, however, she managed to understand and recognize who it belonged to.

"Dad?" her face lights up, happy to hear her father's voice.

"I'm sorry, the connection was bad a while ago– how are you doing there?"

"I'm doing fine, dad. As always," she replied, a faint smile creeping up her lips.

"Okay, good. Have you been eating well? I don't know when I'll get to visit, I hope it's not lonely there," her father uttered out before humming.

"Lonely? Nope, I've made friends," she said with her whole heart.

Renjun, who lightly overheard their conversation, thought differently. Lonely?

"That's good. I'm sorry....sorry......h-hello? Damn this- this connection!"

"I'm sorry....for- .....leaving you a- alone....alone there," and that's when Haruka felt her heart stop. Eye's widening she sucked in some air, the telephone falling from her grip.

Alarmed, Renjun caught the device before it fell, answering it quickly after Haruka stumbled back with a frightened expression.

"H-Hello? Mr. Choi?" he answered, furrowing his brows.

"Oh? Is this one of Haruki and Haruka's friends? I hope you are treating her well! Please, keep her company for me."

Renjun nodded despite Mr. Choi not being able to see the action. "Yes, Mr. Choi. I will."

"I.....have- Have.....to go now....the connect–" the call gets dropped, a loud beeping sound erupted from the device making Renjun scrunch his face in displeasure, quickly placing the phone back.

Diverting his gaze from the telephone then to Haruka, he slowly walked up to her, a hand outstretched, "Are you okay?" concern laced his voice, unaware of what Haruka has just heard.

Her heart was beating uncontrollably fast, fear rising up in her fast, why didn't she thought about this? She had a feeling– but she never thought it would be true.

She cupped her face, feeling stupid, once again she wasn't able to avoid it. Once again she failed to save someone, what made it worse was that she failed to save her own sister, her other half.

Haruka was frustrated, glassy eyes as tears threatened to fall. She swallowed hard, her stomach churning as emotions swirled in her. What was the point anymore? It was like she failed to live, right, she was all alone again.

Darkness sucking her back in after she had a taste of the colorful world she had just begun to love.

Haruka eyed Renjun's hand before reaching out to it, feeling his soft hand assuring her as he pulled her close, engulfing her in a hug. "You'll be okay, you're not alone."

"Not anymore."

— • • • —
everyone's comments make me happy so much that I never thought it was possible for me to be this happy 🤧❤️