46 | colors of life

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

"as soon as you realize it was a gift,
you'll be free."

— Maxime Lagacé —

════════♫♬♫♬♫════════

[ 3RD PERSONS VIEW]

Haruka took a deep breath before walking into the stage. Hundreds of onlookers, eyes already filled with judgement. She could hear whispers broke out as she faced the crowd and bowed curtly.

She knew what everyone was gushing about. Her eye, how strange it was that she had different colored eyes. Pallid gold and ice blue.

Haruka made her way towards the piano, taking a seat as her hands hovered on top of the black and white keys. Closing her eyes, she gently pressed down, letting herself feel the music.

Her friends looked down at her from their seats, all with pressed lips as they watched her intently play the piano.

A few seconds passed, and there it goes. Like a harsh breeze hitting you, the pace shifts, surprising everyone.

Her fingers danced along the keys precisely, her mind steady as she focused.

This was it. Chopin's Winter Wind. The piece she would constantly play over and over again, the structure glued into her mind, the seemingly never ending notes just kept coming.

This was the song she always played to her mother, the very song that irritated her mother, the very song her mother would compliment her on.

Haruka reopens her eyes, only shocked to see herself in the living room, of their old house.

"Haruka!" she flinched, gasping as she look to her side, seeing her mother standing beside a younger version of herself as they played the piano together.

"Mom, why does everyone stare at me like I'm different? Is it because of my eye?" the young her questioned, feeling downhearted after thinking about what her classmates would always tell her.

Her eye made her feel inhuman, it made her feel excluded from everyone. When she said people were afraid of her, it was the exact opposite. Haruka was afraid of people. Of how they treated her, how disregarded her feelings, how they thought so poor of her.

"Haruka, listen," her mother started off, "Your eye is beautiful. It makes you special and different, it's a gift you should always cherish." she said, patting down little Haruka's head.