Chapter 14

Kenzie's POV

Kendall promised she'd save me, but I can't see how. I hope she'll find a way. I'm really really scared. "Right, we're here, girls," Miss Abby (or should I say mom) and Maddie get out while Kendall assures me that I'll be alright. Mom (ugh that feels so weird) opens the door.

"GET OUT OF MY CAR!" she yells at us. We jump and scurry out of the car. I really don't want this to be the rest of my life. Mom unlocks the door and she walks inside with Maddie in her trail. I go to walk inside, but Kendall pulls me away.

"I'll tell you my plan now. She's right, nobody will believe me... unless we have proof. I've got my phone; we'll record a small video of her hurting you. Then she won't have a choice but to admit it!" Kendall explains. I realise she's right and agree to her brilliant plan. Kendall may only be 9, but she's already a mastermind in the making.

"HURRY UP AND GET INSIDE BEFORE I LOCK YOU OUT!" mom screams. Kendall and I hurry inside. We go through to the lounge and see mom sitting in her 'throne' and Maddie sitting in hers. Those are the only two seats that are there at the moment, as usual, unless we have guests (obviously Kendall doesn't count). Kendall looks confused so I motion for her to stay quiet and standing. We stand in front of them quietly, waiting for them to speak.

"Right, Mackenzie, the usual. Maddie, what are we doing with Kendall?" mom asked. Maddie turned to whisper in mom's ear.

"Kendall, you will go with Mackenzie's usual routine, got it?" mom asked. Kendall nods the way she does in pyramid. And Jill's not here to say anything bad about her. We're alone. We leave the room and head to the kitchen. We can hear Maddie go upstairs to her room to probably to watch movies. I grab the phone, tell Kendall to stay in the kitchen and run back through to the lounge.

"What are we eating tonight?" I ask.

"Maddie and I will have whatever Kendall's favourite food is and you and Kendall can have your usual," mom states. I run back to the kitchen and ask Kendall what her favourite food is. She asks if that's what we'll be eating.

"No. Um, mom and Maddie are. We're eating something else," I explain. Kendall looks horrified.

"Is this like, every night for you?" Kendall asks.

"Pretty much, mom eats my favourite food, Maddie usually eats healthy and I always have to eat the same thing," I explain.

"I have an idea. Did she say she'd have my favourite food?" Kendall inquires.

"Yeah...?" I say.

"So what's Miss Abby and Maddie's least favourite food, then?" Kendall asks. I see where she's going now.

"It's most definitely either prawn pasta or salt and pepper squid," I reveal.

"Miss Abby will definitely smell trouble if I say something as expensive as prawn pasta, so we'll have to go with salt and pepper squid!" Kendall exclaims. I order 2 serves of salt and pepper squid and 2 serves of vegetarian, gluten free noodles. Once the food is ordered I hang up. We go through to mom's bedroom. Kendall is shocked that I'm allowed in her bedroom, let alone allowed to touch her stuff! She said she wasn't even allowed behind the door of her mother's bedroom! I take Kendall to my bedroom and tell her to wait there for a bit. I go to the lounge.

"Miss Abby?" I ask.

"DON'T YOU DARE CALL ME THAT. I AM YOUR MOTHER, MACKENZIE. IF YOU CAN'T FACE THAT FACT, YOU CAN LEAVE," she yells.

"I'm sorry..., mom. I just wanted to know if you want Kendall in your bedroom helping or not," I explain.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU LITTLE BRAT? WHAT DID I SAY WHEN SHE CAME IN, HUH? SHE WAS TO DO YOUR USUAL ROUTINE WITH YOU, FULL STOP." She slaps me in the face and punches me in the stomach. She tells me to run before she does some serious damage. I run to my bedroom and I can hear her call Maddie downstairs. I forget about Kendall and sit on a cardboard box and cry. Kendall appears from behind the door. She comes over to me and sits on another box beside me. She tells me to put my head in her lap and cry all I want. I stretch my legs out over a few boxes and lie there crying for a while. 

Oh, poor poor Kenzie. Who knew Abby could be this mean? Will Kendall's brilliant idea work?