Chapter 15

Kendall's POV

Kenzie lies and cries in my arms for a while. I can't imagine how she copes living like this without me here to help her, like I am now. Lucky, our plan is in action.

"Kenz," I whisper, "I got most of that on camera."

"Wait, really?" she asks. I nod and Kenzie looks like the happiest girl alive. I never want to see her like she was a few moments ago. All I really want to see is this happy girl.

"MACKENZIE? IS MY ROOM DONE YET?" Miss Abby screams.

"I'm on it!" Kenzie yells. She drags me to Miss Abby's room, and I am horrified. The room is a mess. And Kenzie is expected to clean this whole room by herself every day? What a horrible mother. I can't stand seeing Kenz like this. Kenzie picks her way through to the other side of the room. She starts to pick things up off the floor.

"Seriously, Kenz?" I ask.

"Yeah...?" she replies.

"Kenzie, you don't have to do anything for her. She's mean and nasty and you can't let her treat you like this," I say.

"I don't really have a choice right now. Unless I want to face possible death," she announces. I realise she's right. Until our evidence is shown, there is nothing we can do to save her. Kenzie starts picking things up. I go to help her. I can't believe what we find on Miss Abby's floor. She has food wrappers everywhere, clothes all over the floor, papers everywhere and much more junk. We get to work cleaning the room. It's tough and uses heaps of energy and halfway there I am absolutely puffed out. How does Kenz do this everyday by herself? We eventually finish the room and the food arrives.

"Do you guys get takeout every night?" I ask.

"Yeah, mom can't cook," she explains. That explains why Miss Abby is so... you know.

"FOOD'S HERE, BRATS. DIDN'T YOU HEAR?" Miss Abby screams. We run down the stairs and Kenzie leads me to the dining room. The food's in plastic containers on the bench. Miss Abby hands Kenzie and I each a container of good-looking veggie noodles. She hands Maddie the container of salt and pepper squid and takes the other for herself. We all sit down at the table and open our containers. "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS, MACKENZIE?" Miss Abby spits the food out and screams at poor Kenz. Maddie takes a bite and spits the chewed-up squid in Kenzie's face.

"You asked me to order Kendall's favourite food, that's what I did," Kenz explains.

"NOT IF IT WAS SQUID!" Miss Abby yells.

"Y... you never said that," Kenzie stutters.

"MACKENZIE FRANCES MILLER, YOU KNOW THAT MADDIE AND I HAVE AN EXTREME HATE FOR SQUID," she shouts. In that moment, I am scared for Kenzie's life. And as for Mackenzie Frances Miller? That sounds soooo weird.

"YOU BETTER LEAVE BEFORE I INJURE YOU, MACKENZIE. AND TAKE YOUR LITTLE FRIEND WITH YOU," Miss Abby screams. Little friend? Little friend? I'm only 3 months younger than Maddie! And I'm 9 years old! Not 3! I'm not even as young as Kenz! I don't say any of this though. I just follow Kenz up to her bedroom.

"WHAT THE HELL ARE WE EATING NOW, MACKENZIE? I'M ORDERING BETTER FOOD AND IT'S COMING OUT OF YOUR FOOD MONEY. YOU MAY NOT BE EATING FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS, BUT IT'S YOUR FAULT!" Miss Abby yells at us from the bottom of the staircase.

"Did you get that?" Kenzie whispers.

"Yeah," I reply. At least we took our food with us. We can still eat up here. We hear footsteps coming up the stairs. I turn to look at Kenz, but she's not there. She's hiding behind a small box. I crouch down beside her. The handle creaks open...